computer will not recognise my Visioneer 8700 one touch scanner

swellmel

Running WinXP on my desktop comp.
I bought the scanner a few months ago at a stationary store. It
installed easily and worked great. I use it as a copier.
Then, my Canon S520 printer gave out & i replaced it with a Canon i560
printer.
Now my computer will not recognize the scanner. I have gone to
Visioneers site. They no onger support this model scanner. Their help
is by the minute and is crazily priced. I uninstalled and reinstalled
the scanner and the Papper Poirt software, updated the driver, all to
no avail.

Can anyone help me??? Thanks, Mel

swellmel

tomcas said:
Exactly what is the error message?

Thanks for the reply.
Actually, there is no error message. My scanner lite is Orange when
the scanner is turned on and should turn Green when it is ready to
use. It stays Orange and will not turn Green. Also, an icon used to
appear in the system tray and I often worked the scanner from there.
Now, no icon in the systray. I went to add/remove programs and the
scanner is listed there (one touch 3.0). when I tried to remove it (to
try reinstalling) the error message said "could not open install.log
file". Then I went to control panel, "scanners & cameras". The scanner
is shown there. When I clicked on it,the error message says "The
computer cannot detect the scanner or camera. Make sure the device is
turned on & is properly connected, etc. etc.". I do not know what
else to try. Thx Mel

CSM1

swellmel said:
"tomcas" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Thanks for the reply.
Actually, there is no error message. My scanner lite is Orange when
the scanner is turned on and should turn Green when it is ready to
use. It stays Orange and will not turn Green. Also, an icon used to
appear in the system tray and I often worked the scanner from there.
Now, no icon in the systray. I went to add/remove programs and the
scanner is listed there (one touch 3.0). when I tried to remove it (to
try reinstalling) the error message said "could not open install.log
file". Then I went to control panel, "scanners & cameras". The scanner
is shown there. When I clicked on it,the error message says "The
computer cannot detect the scanner or camera. Make sure the device is
turned on & is properly connected, etc. etc.". I do not know what
else to try. Thx Mel

The fact that the scanner light does not turn green, probably means that the
scanner has a hardware or internal software problem.

The scanner needs repair.

tomcas

I have the same scanner. When I turn it on it does exactly as you described,
well almost exactly - the front power light changes from orange to green.
However,it does not change after the bulb has warmed up, but rather as I
suspect it has queried and established a USB connection. In my case this
takes about 1 second. Just for the heck of it I pulled the USB cable and
turned on the scanner power button. The light remained orange indefinitely.
I'd suggest you check your USB cable and connections. If that fails try step
1 thru 4 of this page
http://www.visioneer.com/support/general/troubleshooting/scannernotfound.asp
There is some mention of conflicts with Canon printers but I think they are
parallel, not usb connection related. If you are using a hub I'd try
removing it.

swellmel

tomcas said:
I have the same scanner. When I turn it on it does exactly as you described,
well almost exactly - the front power light changes from orange to green.
However,it does not change after the bulb has warmed up, but rather as I
suspect it has queried and established a USB connection. In my case this
takes about 1 second. Just for the heck of it I pulled the USB cable and
turned on the scanner power button. The light remained orange indefinitely.
I'd suggest you check your USB cable and connections. If that fails try step
1 thru 4 of this page
http://www.visioneer.com/support/general/troubleshooting/scannernotfound.asp
There is some mention of conflicts with Canon printers but I think they are
parallel, not usb connection related. If you are using a hub I'd try
removing it.

THX FOR YOUR REPLIES
I found the problem. can you beleive it, the problem was caused by
Mcafee anti-virus that i had loaded through AOL. Mcafee was set so
that scripts would not open and looked suspicious to Mcafee. I
contacted Mcafee for another problem and they directed me to elminate
script reading. Viola! suddenly my scanner works just fine. Something
to keep in mind. Good luck to all. Mel