Computer Locking up/Slow processing

I am experiencing very frequent freezing in all programs & failure of the
mouse to engage options on pop up windows (eg "Allow this program outside of
protected zone" window) etc
Additionally,even though my notebook is only weeks old & ,I thought,cutting
edge technology,processing speed & download speeds are appalling-far ,far
worse than older operating systems.
Sure, I am on dial up,however downloads are 5,10 or even 20 times slower
than "spproximate or estimated download times"
Is this a Vista glitch,hardware or some other cause.
I have run several bug clearing programs and supposedly eliminated things
like spyware,trojan & worms etc,but this problem has existed since the first
connect.
So far, I am extremely disappointed with the performance of the notebook
(Asus) & the operating system (Vista Home premium).
Has anyone any ideas/suggestions on what might be wrong & how to solve it?

I have the same problem, also with an Asus notebook and Vista Home premium.
Still looking for a solution ...

Neil Harley

robmacc said:
[...]

You had / have spyware, trojans and worms on your machine?

What is the spec of the machine? Who set it up? If it was a factory setup
there could be junk installed by them running on it.

Have you tried a system restore or a rebuild?

Don

I have the same situation on a desktop. Intermittently, the computer hangs
for 5 to 15 seconds and then responds normally. I have not had it freeze
where I had to reboot, but the constant non-responsiveness is not what I was
expecting with Vista Business. I have a clean install, 2gig of PC6400,
Athlon x2 5600, nVidia 7900 video card with 256 mb, 7200rpm hard drive and a
Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 (Microsoft).

I have checked the error reports - nothing
I have done mem checks and all is okay.
DSL Connection with 6000+/700+ speeds, which I have no problem with.

The computer is not part of a network although it is running behind a D-Link
Wireless router. Never had a problem with XP.

What additional information should I supply to diagnose this issue?

Thanks in advance. Best Regards.