computer freezes randomly after mouse click

G

I have two HDD's one with XP pro and the other Win98SE. I have no problems with Win98 at all so all hardware etc. is ok
Recently when using XP Pro (SP1) the PC will freeze completely usually after a mouse click such as when closing an open window etc. This action is very random and can occur at any time from minutes to hours. There is no error message and absolutlely nothing works except a reboot. There is no virus on the PC that NAV 2003 cab find and blaster worm etc. is also not there
I am at a bit of a loss as to the reasons for this so would you suggest a re-installation of XP. As I said before there is no prbpem when I use win98 with the same hardware etc. so it has to be XP malfunction
Any help appreciated
Regards to all

C

Curtis Newton

I have two HDD's one with XP pro and the other Win98SE. I have no problems with Win98 at all so all hardware etc. is ok.
Recently when using XP Pro (SP1) the PC will freeze completely usually after a mouse click such as when closing an open window etc. This action is very random and can occur at any time from minutes to hours. There is no error message and absolutlely nothing works except a reboot. There is no virus on the PC that NAV 2003 cab find and blaster worm etc. is also not there.
I am at a bit of a loss as to the reasons for this so would you suggest a re-installation of XP. As I said before there is no prbpem when I use win98 with the same hardware etc. so it has to be XP malfunction.
Any help appreciated.
Regards to all

anything in the event viewer???

control panel - administrative tools - event viewer
-
--
Curtis Newton
(e-mail address removed)
http://surf.to/cnewton
<delete remove-me. to respond to email>

G

Hi Chri
No---Nothing at all except normal activity. Dr Watson log negative as well
Peter

K

Kent_dieGo

I suspect hardware issue such as IRQ or RAM error. Try moving PCI cards to
new slots. Experiment with BIOS settings. WinXP is much more picky about
hardware issues than Win98.

-Kent

G

HI Ken

Thanks for your input. I have shuffled about the PCI cards etc and changed various BIOS settings but to no avail. I am an engineer and to me the finger points at XP rather than any hardware issues since WIN 98 runs perfectly with the same hardware & RAM etc. but I know that software usually works all the time or is dead in the water if there is data corruption. SFC has been run OK
This fault is only quite recent having run XP Pro since September 2003 with no problems but I have noticed that it has slowed down quite a lot when opening programmes. Compared to WIN98 it is a tortoise so I suspect something is not right. Do you know if my data files are preserved if do an in place re-install as I feel like starting again and see what happens.??

regard

Peter

G

HI Kent

Thanks for your input. I have shuffled about the PCI cards etc and changed various BIOS settings but to no avail. I am an engineer and to me the finger points at XP rather than any hardware issues since WIN 98 runs perfectly with the same hardware & RAM etc. but I know that software usually works all the time or is dead in the water if there is data corruption. SFC has been run OK.
This fault is only quite recent having run XP Pro since September 2003 with no problems but I have noticed that it has slowed down quite a lot when opening programmes. Compared to WIN98 it is a tortoise so I suspect something is not right. Do you know if my data files are preserved if do an in place re-install as I feel like starting again and see what happens.???

regards

Peter

Ask a Question