compile errors

Gerhard

I posted this on the Visual Studio group, but no answer, so am trying this one.

I have a project that I have been working on for a number of years, expanding
and enhancing it. I started it with Visual Studio 2005 and then moved to
Visual Studio 2008 when it came out. All has been working very well.
Recently, I wanted to move the project to a new computer, so I installed
Visual Studio 2008 (and any upgrades) and moved my project over (it is a
vb.net web application). When I try to compile it, I get all sorts of errors
such as asp:TextBox is an unknown object (as well as every other .net
object). This is with the exact same code that compiles and runs without
error in Visual Studio 2008 on my original machine. Can you tell me what
would cause this? Do I have to install Visual Studio 2005 also as it was
what the project was originally developed under?

Thanks.

Patrice

Could you post the exact error message for the more frequent error you
get...

Also have you tried to create a new project and see if it works ? It would
likely allow to see if this is a project related issue or if you have a more
general problem...

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello Gerhard,

Firstly, I suggest you post to microsoft.public.vstudio.general. This
section is not specific for it.

You can create a new project for it to see if it encounters the same error
as the previous post said. Maybe the compiler hasn't been ready for it.

Vince
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?R2VyaGFyZA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: compile errors
| Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:10:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I posted this on the Visual Studio group, but no answer, so am trying
this one.

| I have a project that I have been working on for a number of years,
expanding
| and enhancing it. I started it with Visual Studio 2005 and then moved to
| Visual Studio 2008 when it came out. All has been working very well.
| Recently, I wanted to move the project to a new computer, so I installed
| Visual Studio 2008 (and any upgrades) and moved my project over (it is a
| vb.net web application). When I try to compile it, I get all sorts of
errors
| such as asp:TextBox is an unknown object (as well as every other .net
| object). This is with the exact same code that compiles and runs without
| error in Visual Studio 2008 on my original machine. Can you tell me what
| would cause this? Do I have to install Visual Studio 2005 also as it was
| what the project was originally developed under?
|
| Thanks.

Gerhard

Thanks. Traced it down to the project using the .net 2005 release of Crystal
Reports that was messing it up.

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello Patrice,

Please run "Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs" in Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt.
It will reset the packages in VS2005. It will clear all packages which have
issues. Then you can check your project again to see Crystal Reports status
and if the error is resolved.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241276(VS.80).aspx

You can also try other command to recover the status of VS2005:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xee0c8y7(VS.80).aspx

Vince
Microsoft Online Support
--------------------
| Thanks. Traced it down to the project using the .net 2005 release of
Crystal
| Reports that was messing it up.
|

| "Patrice" wrote:
|
| > Could you post the exact error message for the more frequent error you
| > get...
| >
| > Also have you tried to create a new project and see if it works ? It
would
| > likely allow to see if this is a project related issue or if you have a
more
| > general problem...
| >
| > --
| > Patrice
| >
| > "Gerhard" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de groupe
de
| > discussion : (e-mail address removed)...
| > > I posted this on the Visual Studio group, but no answer, so am trying
this
| > > one.
| > >
| > > I have a project that I have been working on for a number of years,
| > > expanding
| > > and enhancing it. I started it with Visual Studio 2005 and then
moved to
| > > Visual Studio 2008 when it came out. All has been working very well.
| > > Recently, I wanted to move the project to a new computer, so I
installed
| > > Visual Studio 2008 (and any upgrades) and moved my project over (it
is a
| > > vb.net web application). When I try to compile it, I get all sorts
of
| > > errors
| > > such as asp:TextBox is an unknown object (as well as every other .net
| > > object). This is with the exact same code that compiles and runs
without
| > > error in Visual Studio 2008 on my original machine. Can you tell me
what
| > > would cause this? Do I have to install Visual Studio 2005 also as it
was
| > > what the project was originally developed under?
| > >
| > > Thanks.

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello Patrice,

Did you try my suggestion? Is the issue resolved?

Vince
Microsoft Online Support
--------------------
| Hello Patrice,
|
| Please run "Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs" in Visual Studio 2005 Command
Prompt.
| It will reset the packages in VS2005. It will clear all packages which
have
| issues. Then you can check your project again to see Crystal Reports
status
| and if the error is resolved.
|
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241276(VS.80).aspx
|
| You can also try other command to recover the status of VS2005:
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xee0c8y7(VS.80).aspx
|
| --
| Regards,
| Vince
| Microsoft Online Support
| --------------------
| | Thanks. Traced it down to the project using the .net 2005 release of
| Crystal
| | Reports that was messing it up.
| |
| |
| |
| | "Patrice" wrote:
| |
| | > Could you post the exact error message for the more frequent error
you
| | > get...
| | >
| | > Also have you tried to create a new project and see if it works ? It
| would
| | > likely allow to see if this is a project related issue or if you have
| more
| | > general problem...
| | >
| | > --
| | > Patrice
| | >
| | > "Gerhard" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
groupe
| de
| | > discussion : (e-mail address removed)...
| this

| moved to
| installed
| is a
| of
| without
| what
| was

| |

Patrice

Hello Patrice,

Thanks but I'm not the OP ;-)
Did you try my suggestion? Is the issue resolved?

From an earlier response it seems Gerhard had an incorrect reference to
Crystal Reports...