Compile errors in VS.Net 2003 - VB.Net solution

Ravi Chaudhary

Hi,

We are using VS.Net 2003 and coding in VB.net. The
solution has 38 projects; most of the projects in the
solution reference other projects (without any circular
references) and all the references were added to using the
Projects tab on the Add Reference dialog and not by
browsing to the DLL for the project.

When we build or run the solution "bogus" compile errors
show up for classes in projects that were not modified
before building the solution and in most cases are not
even open in the IDE at the time. The compile errors
typically say that a data member is missing or a control
is missing from the class and they will only go away, if
we rebuild the solution or just close and open it again.
Sometimes even while rebuilding other compile errors
related to .resources files not being accessible show up
and then we have to delete the bin and Debug folders for
the project containing the class and only then rebuild
works.

We have had this problem for some time now but it was NOT
as frequent (we saw them once or twice every week), lately
it has been happening almost every time we try to compile
the solution after making a change.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Would rebuilding the
solution by removing all the projects from it and adding
those back help?

Thanks in advance

Ravi

Craig Vick [MSFT]

Hi Ravi,

I tried to repro this with a multi project solution with several references, but I couldn't. In the cases where you get the build errors, does the project with the
build errors always reference a project that has been changed? It may be that the work around is to change the order of when the projects in the solution
are compiled (but I'm just guessing).

Craig VB.Net Team
This reply is provided AS IS, without warranty (express or implied).
From: "Ravi Chaudhary" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Ravi Chaudhary" <[email protected]>
Subject: Compile errors in VS.Net 2003 - VB.Net solution
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:04:06 -0700

[...]