Compatibility with previous vers. of Windows

Conan Kelly

Does any one no alot about setting up compatibilities for
previous versions of Windows.

A several years ago I bought the original Myst (Win 95 &
3.x) and I am finaly getting around to playing it.
Having never played it before, I was playing it and
thought it was working okay. Then I found some Myst
journals online and came to realize that some of the
animations (and their sounds) were not working. I tried
installing it on my Win 98 se (upgraded) box (originally
Win 95). The animations worked but it runs slow. In Win
XP, I set up the compatibility setting the way I am
assuming they should be set, but still no animations nor
their sounds. I went through the compatibility wizard
and still nothing.

Does anybody have any info that might help?

Thank you,

Conan Kelly

Jimmy S.

Hi Conan,

You mentioned that the game was originally Win 3.1 compatible
and since at that point Windows was still a DOS application and
not a stand alone operating system, the game was a DOS game...

When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Does any one no alot about setting up compatibilities for
| previous versions of Windows.
|
| A several years ago I bought the original Myst (Win 95 &
| 3.x) and I am finaly getting around to playing it.
| Having never played it before, I was playing it and
| thought it was working okay. Then I found some Myst
| journals online and came to realize that some of the
| animations (and their sounds) were not working. I tried
| installing it on my Win 98 se (upgraded) box (originally
| Win 95). The animations worked but it runs slow. In Win
| XP, I set up the compatibility setting the way I am
| assuming they should be set, but still no animations nor
| their sounds. I went through the compatibility wizard
| and still nothing.
|
| Does anybody have any info that might help?
|
| Thank you,
|
| Conan Kelly

Phil

The original Myst used Quick Time for Windows for the small animations in
the game, thus requiring Windows. It was not a DOS game. There were no doubt
more technical reasons for Myst requiring Windows and I believe it had some
DLL files in it, etc.

Jimmy S. said:
Hi Conan,

You mentioned that the game was originally Win 3.1 compatible
and since at that point Windows was still a DOS application and
not a stand alone operating system, the game was a DOS game...

When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Does any one no alot about setting up compatibilities for
| previous versions of Windows.
|
| A several years ago I bought the original Myst (Win 95 &
| 3.x) and I am finaly getting around to playing it.
| Having never played it before, I was playing it and
| thought it was working okay. Then I found some Myst
| journals online and came to realize that some of the
| animations (and their sounds) were not working. I tried
| installing it on my Win 98 se (upgraded) box (originally
| Win 95). The animations worked but it runs slow. In Win
| XP, I set up the compatibility setting the way I am
| assuming they should be set, but still no animations nor
| their sounds. I went through the compatibility wizard
| and still nothing.
|
| Does anybody have any info that might help?
|
| Thank you,
|
| Conan Kelly

Jimmy S.

Hi Phil,

If it had .dll's and used Quick Time then it's not the same
game that Conan described. If you still have yours though
can you give it a spin and see if it works in Windows XP?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| The original Myst used Quick Time for Windows for the small animations in
| the game, thus requiring Windows. It was not a DOS game. There were no doubt
| more technical reasons for Myst requiring Windows and I believe it had some
| DLL files in it, etc.
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Conan,
| >
| > You mentioned that the game was originally Win 3.1 compatible
| > and since at that point Windows was still a DOS application and
| > not a stand alone operating system, the game was a DOS game...
| >
| > When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
| > bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
| > and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.
| >
| > With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
| > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
| > which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.
| >
| > If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
| > tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
| > and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
| > issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | previous versions of Windows.
| > |
| > | A several years ago I bought the original Myst (Win 95 &
| > | 3.x) and I am finaly getting around to playing it.
| > | Having never played it before, I was playing it and
| > | thought it was working okay. Then I found some Myst
| > | journals online and came to realize that some of the
| > | animations (and their sounds) were not working. I tried
| > | installing it on my Win 98 se (upgraded) box (originally
| > | Win 95). The animations worked but it runs slow. In Win
| > | XP, I set up the compatibility setting the way I am
| > | assuming they should be set, but still no animations nor
| > | their sounds. I went through the compatibility wizard
| > | and still nothing.
| > |
| > | Does anybody have any info that might help?
| > |
| > | Thank you,
| > |
| > | Conan Kelly

Yves Leclerc

Myst has been re-done a few time! realMYST gives a new 3D look and Myst
Masterpeice Edition gives one more chapter. Both seem to work in XP.

Also, the new publisher UBISoft has now came out with the Myst 10th
Anniversery DVD collection. 3 DVDs with Myst Masterpiece Edition, Riven:
The Sequel to Myst (5 CDs originally) and Myst III: Exile (4 CDs
originally).

Y.

Phil

My brother had the game so I don't have it now, but I've heard sometime ago
on this NG that someone had the original Myst running just fine on XP, but I
can't remember if he used compatibility mode or not.

Jimmy S. said:
Hi Phil,

If it had .dll's and used Quick Time then it's not the same
game that Conan described. If you still have yours though
can you give it a spin and see if it works in Windows XP?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| The original Myst used Quick Time for Windows for the small animations in
| the game, thus requiring Windows. It was not a DOS game. There were no doubt
| more technical reasons for Myst requiring Windows and I believe it had some
| DLL files in it, etc.
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Conan,
| >
| > You mentioned that the game was originally Win 3.1 compatible
| > and since at that point Windows was still a DOS application and
| > not a stand alone operating system, the game was a DOS game...
| >
| > When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
| > bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
| > and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.
| >
| > With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
| > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
| > which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.
| >
| > If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
| > tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
| > and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
| > issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | previous versions of Windows.
| > |
| > | A several years ago I bought the original Myst (Win 95 &
| > | 3.x) and I am finaly getting around to playing it.
| > | Having never played it before, I was playing it and
| > | thought it was working okay. Then I found some Myst
| > | journals online and came to realize that some of the
| > | animations (and their sounds) were not working. I tried
| > | installing it on my Win 98 se (upgraded) box (originally
| > | Win 95). The animations worked but it runs slow. In Win
| > | XP, I set up the compatibility setting the way I am
| > | assuming they should be set, but still no animations nor
| > | their sounds. I went through the compatibility wizard
| > | and still nothing.
| > |
| > | Does anybody have any info that might help?
| > |
| > | Thank you,
| > |
| > | Conan Kelly

Jimmy S.

You're right about that Phil. Chris H. has it and he emailed
me to let me know that his original Myst for Windows 3.1
worked for him (the last time he tried it) using compatibility
mode at 640x480 resolution. I hope Conan's reading these.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| My brother had the game so I don't have it now, but I've heard sometime ago
| on this NG that someone had the original Myst running just fine on XP, but I
| can't remember if he used compatibility mode or not.
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Phil,
| >
| > If it had .dll's and used Quick Time then it's not the same
| > game that Conan described. If you still have yours though
| > can you give it a spin and see if it works in Windows XP?
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| in
| > | the game, thus requiring Windows. It was not a DOS game. There were no
| doubt
| > | more technical reasons for Myst requiring Windows and I believe it had
| some
| > | DLL files in it, etc.
| > |

| available.