Comparing Full Files

PZ

Newbie questions:

Is there a utility or some other way to compare one full file (w multiple tabs) with another full file (w multiple tabs)?
The layouts are identical, just the data in them *may* or *may not* be different.

Conversely is there a way to compare two files tab-by-tab?

Why you ask?

I'm trying to take over a job from a coworker and for the next week I'm going to shadow everything they do, but on my own.
At the end of the week, as a sanity check, I'd like to compare my work to theirs and see how far off, or on, I am.

In another vein ... what's the proper terminology to use?

A file, to me, is what I open with a "file-open" sequeuce, or from a windows file list
A workbook is a file with one or more tabs
A worksheet is any one of those tabs

Are those correct?

Lastly what's the difference between a .XLT and a .XLS extension (besides the obvious one letter). Are there other
extensions and what would they mean?

Thanks ... Phil

Damon Longworth

In most data verification projects it is not necessary to validate "all"
entries. Find key check totals to validate your files.

I would suggest some high level tests, like the report totals or subtotals.
Keep it simple.

--

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007 - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft Excel
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

[...]

Jim Cone

Your file/workbook/worksheet descriptions are pretty much correct.
Note that a workbook must have at least one visible worksheet or chartsheet.

Also, a "page" is not a worksheet. It is just one section, of one or more
sections on a worksheet. Each page prints on a single piece of paper.

..XLS is a spreadsheet
..XLT is a template
..XLA is an add-in
There are others, but those three are the ones that most people deal with.
Note that XL2007 uses extensions with four characters.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA