Combox additions

G

Is it possible that a combox can accept both entries selected from the list as well as new entries? i.e if the user can not see a valid entry in the list they can input new values by typing in the field

Cheers.

G

Yes as long as the Limit to List property is set to NO the user can add new entries. The new entries appear in the list next time it is refreshed

Sheila

J

John Vinson

Is it possible that a combox can accept both entries selected from the list as well as new entries? i.e if the user can not see a valid entry in the list they can input new values by typing in the field.

Cheers.

Yes, to some extent: you can set the "Limit to List" property of the
combo to No. If the user sees "Ave" in a street address suffix field
and wants to type "Avn" instead, it will store Avn in the table.

The combo box's rowsource will not be automatically updated, though
(unless it's a query on the same table that is being updated).

G

----- John Vinson wrote: ----

On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:41:02 -0700, Trevo
Is it possible that a combox can accept both entries selected from the list as well as new entries? i.e if the user can not see a valid entry in the list they can input new values by typing in the field

Yes, to some extent: you can set the "Limit to List" property of th
combo to No. If the user sees "Ave" in a street address suffix fiel
and wants to type "Avn" instead, it will store Avn in the table

The combo box's rowsource will not be automatically updated, thoug
(unless it's a query on the same table that is being updated)

John W. Vinson[MVP]
Come for live chats every Tuesday and Thursday

Thanks

Ok I can see how that works. But I am not sure if that is exactly what I am after. It looks like I will need to run a "NotInList" event to go with my combo box so that I can update my RowSource. However , my bound column is an integer and the columns I display are character. Normaly I will have the bound column at a width of 0, so to have the limit to list property set to "no" I need to increase this to something greater than 0. That is ok but my users will want to enter a descriptive string rather than a number (the bound column will mean nothing to them). Of course when they input text rather than a number they get a validation error. Is there a property that can be set so that when this error is encounted I can run an event. I could use this event as a replacement for the "NotInList" event

Hope that makes sense

J

John Vinson

Ok I can see how that works. But I am not sure if that is exactly what I am after. It looks like I will need to run a "NotInList" event to go with my combo box so that I can update my RowSource. However , my bound column is an integer and the columns I display are character. Normaly I will have the bound column at a width of 0, so to have the limit to list property set to "no" I need to increase this to something greater than 0. That is ok but my users will want to enter a descriptive string rather than a number (the bound column will mean nothing to them). Of course when they input text rather than a number they get a validation error. Is there a property that can be set so that when this error is encounted I can run an event. I could use this event as a replacement for the "NotInList" event.

Hope that makes sense!

A couple of suggestions:

- The Bound Column need not be the first column. It's quite possible
(indeed routine) to have the user see only text, with a bound integer
column. The user types - and sees - the text in the first column; the
numeric ID is in the second.

- The Not In List event can still be used in this scenario. You'ld add
a new record to the rowsource table (in code, or by opening a Form to
get additional input, as needed).

Ask a Question