Combo box control problem

G

I am creating a Dynamic HTML menu system, and one of my menus is so long as to extend down into my form elements. This is all good and happy since my text boxes stay behind the menu that is on a different z-index (100), but my combo boxes, that are user controls, always stay on top of my menu even if I set a style attribute putting the combo box on z-index: 0. Any suggestions

Jim

B

bruce barker

the <select> element which what the ddl uses are actually on a different
window then the rendered html, so it will always be on top. common solutions
are:

1) make the ddl invisible when the menu is opened
2) rearange the layout
3) render the menu in an iframe.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Jim Mace said:
I am creating a Dynamic HTML menu system, and one of my menus is so long
as to extend down into my form elements. This is all good and happy since
my text boxes stay behind the menu that is on a different z-index (100), but
my combo boxes, that are user controls, always stay on top of my menu even
if I set a style attribute putting the combo box on z-index: 0. Any
suggestions?

S

Scott

As others have mentioned this is the way it is; however, there are some new solutions that don't
require one to rearrange, hide or deal with an iframe (and might even make for cleaner HTML, or
might not).

Check out http://www.aplus.co.yu/sparks/adxmenu/examples2/ ; I know there a couple more of these
types of solutions, but I can't find the links at the moment. How you workaround this is partially
dependent on which browsers you are targeting.

Scott

Jim Mace said:
I am creating a Dynamic HTML menu system, and one of my menus is so long as to extend down into my
form elements. This is all good and happy since my text boxes stay behind the menu that is on a
different z-index (100), but my combo boxes, that are user controls, always stay on top of my menu
even if I set a style attribute putting the combo box on z-index: 0. Any suggestions?

G

Bruce and Konrad

Thanks for the info. I wonder if they're going to change this in v2

Jim

Ask a Question