Combining Workbooks

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 6 Workbooks .xls files built on a template with 5 worksheets in each book. The first Worksheet is the 'Assumptions' and has about 4 columns.

The second is the client summary which is a summary total of the groups in the 3rd worksheet.

The third worksheet is the 'Task Details' and has about 6 columns, 3 of which have formulae just to multiply for a figure and add the totals of each group.

The 4th is the rates worksheet with about 15 lines and 4 columns.

The 5th is just the number of people or pages that will be processed.

All the WORKBOOKS are the same except that they have different figures for different projects. I need to combine these workbooks into a summary of all the projects. How do I go about doing this. I am a Clinical Trial expert but I now need to do this for management.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I looked through the search but nothing came up with 'COMBINE workbooks' 'combining workbooks' etc.

Thank you for your help.

Cecil

Reaction score
The only way I know how to do this is to select "Import External Data" from the "Data" pull-down menu. You would probably do this from a new workbook. The drawback is that you can only import a single sheet at a time, so this would be time consuming. The nice thing is that you can have the data retain references back to the original, which would update your combined data as you updated the individual workbooks.

I was trying to do the same thing the other day, and this was the best I could come up with. Hope it helps.

Shane

Ask a Question