COM3: port in use by FAX

T

TR Oltrogge

I'm a new user of WindowsXP. Bought an HP DV9005 laptop a week ago and am in the process of moving all my data and programs from an 8-year-old Toshiba 2515CDS laptop whose LCD display has gone bad. I've got pretty much everything working, but am now trying to make sure all my prior favorite applications run on the new machine. One of these older applications runs in MSDOS 16-bit mode and needs to access the COM3 port. But it appears there's some FAX software running that grabs COM3 first. I've tried uninstalling (via Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs / Soft Data FAX Modem with SmartCP) what I thought was the actual FAX application but this actually seemed to remove the device COM3 itself.

Can someone tell me what application is running that has COM3 open? And how to disable it?

Ideally I'd like to simply stop this application from starting up when the machine is booted but leave it installed as an icon on my desktop that I could use *if* I wanted FAX capability.

Tim

L

Leythos

Can someone tell me what application is running that has COM3 open? And how to disable it?

Blackberry active sync will use COMx even though it's really using a USB
port - and there is no solution to it.

T

TR Oltrogge

Leythos said:
Blackberry active sync will use COMx even though it's really using a USB
port - and there is no solution to it.

Hmmmmmm...I have a Zire31 but have not installed my synchronizing software
yet so I don't think this is the problem.

Nice to know, though.

Thanks

Ask a Question