From: "Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: COM3-14
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:37:55 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Hi Larry,

Add component: "Communications Port".
And read trough:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded/search?group=micr
osoft.public.windowsxp.embedded&q=%22Communications+Port%22&qt_g=1

Also usually if one port start working they all do without your intervention since they
are usually picked by PnP automatically.

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Larry,

So far no-one complained about attachments. Attachments are downloaded and posted trough outlook express if you use it to read this
NG.
Use public server news.microsoft.com

You can send it to my email but it is better that other can see it as well.

Search for missing files or something like that.

Regards,
Slobodan

PS:
You might need some third party driver to make you extra COM card to work?

Larry Waibel

I use Virtual Access but it has an Attachments capability so I'll try it and see.

I don't think it's as much as missing driver as a missing configuration. It's not a separate 'com card' but a set of quad UARTS in
an FPGA. They're all 16550 compatible and I think all I need is to be able to make XPe aware that they exist and which IRQ, address
they use. I know the board has been used with the PharLap ETS embedded software.

I also suspect I'm going to run into problems with the USB. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse USB connected and added that to my
configuration but when I run regedit from the command prompt I don't get any mouse cursor.

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Larry,
I don't think it's as much as missing driver as a missing configuration. It's not a separate 'com card' but a set of quad UARTS in
an FPGA. They're all 16550 compatible and I think all I need is to be able to make XPe aware that they exist and which IRQ, address
they use.

XPe is PnP Plug And Play. It alone decide what resources should be given to which hardware and find hardware on its own. If it
happens that you have all drivers and support files things just start working on their own.

Add all missing files so that SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA error is eradicated from your setupapi.log.

Also I would add component "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator".

Regards,
Slobodan

KM

Larry,

For the start, you are missing:
"Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator"
"USB User Interface"
Help files for some of your driver component (uncheck "Do not copy help files for this configuration" flag in the Configuration
settings)

Larry Waibel

Okay, I still have the problems as follows (I've attached the latest setupapi.log):

I'm running with a command line shell. I can run 'regedit' and it brings up a GUI screen,
but I don't have a mouse pointer. It looks to me like the USB and Mouse were found. Is
there something else needed?

It looks like it found some more COM ports but only COM1 and COM2 are found by 'devcon'.
I'm still not clear what to do next. Is the msports.inf only processed during FBA? i.e.
if I edit the msports.inf on the target and reboot will it do any good?

The only help files I see missing are for the video driver and I'm not worried about
those; should I be?

From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:14:24 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

For the start, you are missing:
"Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator"
"USB User Interface"
Help files for some of your driver component (uncheck "Do not copy help files for
this configuration" flag in the Configuration
settings)
trough outlook express if you use it to read

David D

I have a quad 16550 compatible uart that I set up for com 3-6.
Oringinally I would set it up Post FBA (see my instructions below that is
specific to my hardware).
later I found where in the registry it stored the configuration and then
exported that portion of the registry and then made a component out of it.
I had the standard serial port component loaded

My post FBA instructions. (note my com 4 and 5 appear out of order but I had
a reason for that)

Post FBA

a.. Add the 4 communications ports in order. Note as you add Comm ports,
it will automatically assign the Com port Numbers for you.
1) <winKey> R

2) control sysdm.cpl add new hardware

3) Hardware Tab-> Add new hardware wizard

4) Next

5) After it searches, select "Yes, ." and then Next

6) Scroll down to and select "add new hardware device" and then select
Next

7) Select "Install the hardware that I manually select ..", then select
Next

8) Select "Ports (COM & LPT)" then Next

9) Select "Standard Port Types"-> "Communications port" Then Next

10) Select Next

11) You will then get a message saying it is complete but a code 34 error.
Select "View or change resources.."

12) Set Configuration Manually

13) Select Basic configuration 0008

14) Then change the Base address and IRQ for the port per the following
table for each of the 4 passes you do of this procedure.

· Address 240-247 IRQ 9 (Com3 Datacap CN11)

· Address 250-258 IRQ 9 (Com4 Printer )

· Address 248-24F IRQ 9 (Com5 Bill Disp CN12)

· Address 258-25F IRQ 9 (Com 6 Display I/O spare)

15) Press OK

16) Press Finished

17) Answer No to reboot.

18) Repeat steps c-q

19) When complete, reboot

20) After Reboot, verify COMS 3-6 appear and have no error conditions in
Device manager.

Larry Waibel

Thanks. My problem is that I have a small disk and memory and can't do a full
install and won't have the control panel, etc. Would it be possible for you
to send me your 'component' and maybe I can work from that to make the
settings I need for all of my ports?

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Larry,

Do you have msmouse.inf file inf your image?
You will need one of components that use "Device: Mouse" component or add this components directly in TD.

[2005/02/16 16:05:36 376.305 Driver Install]
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s):
hid\vid_045e&pid_0009&rev_2006,hid\vid_045e&pid_0009,hid_device_system_mouse,hid_device_up:0001_u:0002,hid_device
#-199 Executing "C:\windows\fba\fba.exe" with command line: ..\fba\fba.exe
#I022 Found "HID_DEVICE" in C:\windows\inf\input.inf; Device: "HID-compliant device"; Driver: "HID-compliant device"; Provider:
"Microsoft"; Mfg: "(Standard system devices)"; Section name: "HID_Raw_Inst".
#I023 Actual install section: [HID_Raw_Inst.NT]. Rank: 0x00001004. Effective driver date: 07/01/2001.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [HID_Raw_Inst] in "c:\windows\inf\input.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-124 Doing copy-only install of "HID\VID_045E&PID_0009\5&11DE5F7E&0&0000".
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [HID_Raw_Inst.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\input.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "HID\VID_045E&PID_0009\5&11DE5F7E&0&0000".
#E275 Error while installing services. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for
this device instance.
#E122 Device install failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device
instance.
#E157 Default installer failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this
device instance.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I125 Installing NULL driver for "HID\VID_045E&PID_0009\5&11DE5F7E&0&0000".
#E122 Device install failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device
instance.
#I125 Installing NULL driver for "HID\VID_045E&PID_0009\5&11DE5F7E&0&0000".
#I121 Device install of "HID\VID_045E&PID_0009\5&11DE5F7E&0&0000" finished successfully.

No only two COM ports were installed :-(
Please try to find out VID and PID numbers of your additional serial port adapter to narrow the search down.

Also from devcon you should be able to see all info as you could do that from Device Manager.

Also from regedit:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ ..... You should be able to find VID/PID numbers for your hardware that was enumerated but not
installed.

Regards,
Slobodan

Larry Waibel

Thanks, got it and took a look at it but I'm not sure that it can help. The problem is
that the ports on this board are implemented in an FPGA and I don't believe they're even
seen by PNP. There's nothing in TA or TAP that seems to show them. There are a lot of
registry keys that appear to be involved and I don't know the meaning or values for most of
them. There's no device driver for them since the boards were used in DOS and in Pharlap,
never before in Windows. The XPe install CD will boot on the system so I can run TAP but I
can't do a 'full' install of XP on it. I'm not knowledgable enough about the details of
Windows internals and device drivers and registry entries to really even know where to
begin with this.