Column width in a subform?

Rolf Rosenquist

Cannot figure out how to fix the column width of a datasheet in a subform,
so that users cannot change them. Is it not possible to lock it?

/ Rolf

Marshall Barton

Rolf said:
Cannot figure out how to fix the column width of a datasheet in a subform,
so that users cannot change them. Is it not possible to lock it?

Use the ColumnWidth property (check Help for details).

Dale Fye

As Marshall states, you can set their width, but I have never been able to
figure out a way to actually prevent the user from changing the width at run
time. The only alternative I have come up with is to use a continuous form,
put the rows right on top of each other. By doing this, you set the text
box widths at design time and don't have to worry about it after that.

Actually, the only time I use datasheets is when I want to present my user
with a lot of data at one time, and let them figure out what is of use to
them. Using the data sheet also allows them to change the order of the
columns during run time, although they will always come back up in the
format that they were designed in.

HTH
Dale

Stephen Lebans

Here is a previous post of mine on this subject.

From: Stephen Lebans
([email protected])
Subject: Re: Freeze Column?
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms,
microsoft.public.access.formscoding,
Date: 2003-12-24 11:53:00 PST

For programmatic control for forms in Datasheet view my standard
response is:

1) Michael Kaplan has an excellent article on manipulating Datasheets
here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmart
01/html/sa01b1.asp

2) An API solution is here:
http://www.lebans.com/autocolumnwidth.htm
The AutoSizing project also contains a method to FREEZE the
ColumnWidths.

After reading Michael's article you would then do something similiar
along these lines:

From: Bill Murphy ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Freezing columns in a continuous subform

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
Date: 2004-03-31 13:03:23 PST

Thanks Stephen. In Michael Kaplan's article I found a tip which led me
the answer. Here's some sample code that I am using in the load event
of a
data sheet subform which works well:

' Freeze each column needed

Me![Project].SetFocus
DoCmd.RunCommand (acCmdFreezeColumn)

Me![Lender#].SetFocus
DoCmd.RunCommand (acCmdFreezeColumn)

Me![Loan#].SetFocus
DoCmd.RunCommand (acCmdFreezeColumn)

All three columns will be frozen at the left of the data sheet, and the
user
can scroll horizontally for all other columns in the data sheet.

Bill

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans