Codes/Field Values

vavan

Hello, All!

something is broken in my word settings. instead of showing field contents by default it displays
their codes. I mean instead of table of content I can see for example {TOC \o "1-1"}until I manually
right click on it and switch display mode

With best regards, vavan

Jay Freedman

Nothing is broken. Press Alt+F9 to toggle from field codes (what you
see now) to field results.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP
newsgroup so all may benefit.

vavan

Hello, Jay!
You wrote on Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:20:31 -0500:

JF> Nothing is broken. Press Alt+F9 to toggle from field codes (what you

seems to did the trick, thank you

With best regards, vavan

vavan

Hello, vavan!
You wrote to Jay Freedman on Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:31:40 +0300:

v> seems to did the trick, thank you

but every time I restart word I have to hit Alt-F9, so default setting stored somewhere is to show
codes
not a big deal but annoying

With best regards, vavan

Suzanne S. Barnhill

You can change the setting in the program Options. How you get there depends
on the version of Word you're using, which you have not stated.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

vavan

Hello, Suzanne!
You wrote on Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:31:03 -0600:

SSB> You can change the setting in the program Options. How you get there depends
SSB> on the version of Word you're using, which you have not stated.

word 2003 sp1

With best regards, vavan

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Tools | Options | View: Clear the check box for "Field codes." If this
setting is not preserved through quitting and restarting Word, then your
options are not being saved, which could indicate a problem with the
Registry (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm) or,
if you are on a corporate network, the evil machinations of your IT
department, which we can't do anything about.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

vavan

Hello, Suzanne!
You wrote on Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:53:09 -0600:

SSB> setting is not preserved through quitting and restarting Word, then your
SSB> options are not being saved, which could indicate a problem with the
SSB> Registry (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm) or,
SSB> if you are on a corporate network, the evil machinations of your IT
SSB> department, which we can't do anything about.

you know I work for IT department of my company and I can swear that we never did any evil
machinations

thanks for the link anyway :)

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Well, *some* IT departments try to control the UI by flushing Normal.dot and
the Registry at Windows/Word startup, which does make customization very
difficult.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)