cmd

G

I am runnig Windows XP Pro. When I run the cmd command and enter any DOS command, I get an error indicating that the command is not reconizable. For instance I type "ping <ipaddress> and I get the error. Also, when I type do run and type ipconfig, the cmd window pops up and instantly goes away. My eyes aren't that fast.

R

Ramesh [MVP]

See if the file Ping.exe exists in the System32 directory. Try entering the full path:

c:\windows\system32\ping.exe www.yahoo.com

If this file does not exist, you may need to extract it from the XP CD-ROM.

The IPConfig also need to be run from Command Prompt, not from RUN. Or, try CMD /k IPConfig from RUN dialog.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

I am runnig Windows XP Pro. When I run the cmd command and enter any DOS command, I get an error indicating that the command is not reconizable. For instance I type "ping <ipaddress> and I get the error. Also, when I type do run and type ipconfig, the cmd window pops up and instantly goes away. My eyes aren't that fast.

G

You could make sure windows is in fact running it's cmd.exe and not a-n-other

do Start/Run/c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe enter

this should launch the cmd shell that comes with XP.

Type ver then press enter at the command prompt and you should get

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] (version may be different)

if that is so, type Path (enter) and make sure you have C:\windows\system32 and c:\windows listed in the path list, if that is not there you will need to re add them.

Hope that helps

Ashleigh

A

Alex Nichol

cleanclarence said:

IPconfig you would need to run from that CMD.exe window. Otherwise it
does an exit and closes its window as soon as it finishes displaying.

In the CMD window, do a PATH command. It should start off with
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS; etc

If it does not, you can then give a
PATH C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS
to give a temporary fix, but go to
Control Panel - System - Advanced, click Environmental variables and
check the settings for PATH there

Ask a Question