cmd problem

When I hit START, RUN and in the open box type in cmd, hit ok
the cmd.exe box opens with the following;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

How do I get cmd to point to the correct folder?

David if I then try say ipconfig at the cursor (C:\Documents and
Settings\Owner>ipconfig

I get the message ípconfig'is not recognised as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file and reverts to the C:.....\Owner
prompt

Is there some way to have the cmd box point straight to system32 file?

David Candy said:
It already is pointing to the correct folder.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
djr said:
When I hit START, RUN and in the open box type in cmd, hit ok
the cmd.exe box opens with the following;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

How do I get cmd to point to the correct folder?

David Candy

Arer you people complete morons. Of course it is. But why don't you fix your problem instead of moronic workarounds.

Why would you post your WRONG solution rather than your problem. The fact you are here means you are dumb. Why would you assume you know anything.

Type set in cmd and paste what it says.

djr said:
When I hit START, RUN and in the open box type in cmd, hit ok
the cmd.exe box opens with the following;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

How do I get cmd to point to the correct folder?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Sometimes David Candy gloats in his superior knowledge
and he fails to realise that he too was ignorant at some stage
(and still is in many areas, same as everyone else).

Your problem is probably caused by one of two things:
a) The file c:\windows\system32\ipconfig.exe is missing, or
b) Your %path% is incorrect: It does not include the folder
c:\windows\system32.

What exactly do you see when you type this command from
the Command Prompt?

set path

By the way: Starting your Command Prompt in the System32
folder is possible but it's equivalent to treating the symptoms
of the problem. You need to treat the cause.

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------
Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
When I hit START, RUN and in the open box type in cmd, hit ok
the cmd.exe box opens with the following;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

How do I get cmd to point to the correct folder?

David Candy

It is a breech of posting guidelines. Breeches must be punished.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It is a breech of posting guidelines. Breeches must be punished.

=================

I thought you were old enough to be out of your
breeches. If not then your breaches of correct spelling
must be punished too!

Pegusus

I was hoping that when I type in cmd at the run prompt it would take me to
cmd.exe in the system32 file. It seems everything runs fine from there
without a lot of additional messing about. Is there some way to change the
path to go straight here.

Sorry if I am being denseabout this but I am not exactly computer
knowledgeable. I can do the basics no more.

As to Mr Candy, I thought the point of these boards was to enable those less
knowledgeable to get some answers from those in the know, not a lot of ABUSE!

David Candy said:
It already is pointing to the correct folder.

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------
Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
When I hit START, RUN and in the open box type in cmd, hit ok
the cmd.exe box opens with the following;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

How do I get cmd to point to the correct folder?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

When you type "cmd.exe" in the Run box then you start
a Command Prompt in your profile folder by default. If
you don't like this then you have to "mess about" by creating
a shortcut that takes you to any desired drive and/or folder.

If your path is incorrect then you're likely to experience
other problems too. It's a problem that is easily fixed and
it should not be left unattended. If you post the answer
to my question in my first reply then someone will tell you
how to fix it.

:

It already is pointing to the correct folder.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
When I hit START, RUN and in the open box type in cmd, hit ok
the cmd.exe box opens with the following;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

How do I get cmd to point to the correct folder?

Ron Sommer

In the cmd window, cd\ will take you to the C:\ prompt.

--
Ron Sommer

djr said:
[...]

But you were abusive. If you want to know why your wrong solutions don't work go elsewhere. Here you are required to list the problem rather than selfishly waste others people's effort.

Your arrogrant first post claimed the folder was wrong. You were wrong. So that's two wasted posts. Then you keep fixating on fantasy solution (your problem is one of two things). Refuse to do diagnostics.

Why don't you deserve abuse?

djr said:
[...]

jt3

By definition, NO one deserves abuse.

----------------------

djr said:
[...]

What are you, a nancy boy.

------------------------
Goodbye Web Diary

http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
When I hit START, RUN and in the open box type in cmd, hit ok
the cmd.exe box opens with the following;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

How do I get cmd to point to the correct folder?

jt3

Since you apparently reason that anyone's disapproval of your abusiveness,
whether mitigated by circumstances or not, warrants more of it, I for one
should find it difficult to trust your judgement in any technical situation
as well, since the evident lack of understanding of simple logic testifies
to said judgement being less than reliable.

Such a pity, too, as I had previously thought you made good sense.

hth,
Joe

Pegasus (MVP) said:
[...]

Enjoy your ballet lessons.