Clipper Dos program used in WinXP environment

G

I desperately need to use a Dos based custom program written in CLIPPER. In WinME, I can set the file handles (files=99)and save and this solves my problem of not having enough file handles. In Win XP, I save the same changes but it is not reflected when I use my program. It appears that Win XP does not recognize that I have added the (files=99) line to the config.sys. Does anybody understand why this is happening? How do I change the file handles that will allow me to use the program I need? Does anyone out there understand Dos based Clipper especially in a Win XP environment?

On another note, why would some exec files work and others and other freeze up the computer with the internal speaker alarm going off?

R

Rob Schneider

Jeff said:
I desperately need to use a Dos based custom program written in CLIPPER. In WinME, I can set the file handles (files=99)and save and this solves my problem of not having enough file handles. In Win XP, I save the same changes but it is not reflected when I use my program. It appears that Win XP does not recognize that I have added the (files=99) line to the config.sys. Does anybody understand why this is happening? How do I change the file handles that will allow me to use the program I need? Does anyone out there understand Dos based Clipper especially in a Win XP environment?

On another note, why would some exec files work and others and other freeze up the computer with the internal speaker alarm going off?

I believe (but at the moment can't find where this documented to make
sure) that the files c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt and
c:\windows\system32\config.nt are used as default equivalents of
autoexec.bat and config.sys respectfully when you open a command prompt box.

try editing files=99 in c:\windows\system32\config.nt, then launch a
commmand prompt box, then launch the Clipper app from there.

D

Donald McDaniel

Jeff said:
I desperately need to use a Dos based custom program written in
CLIPPER. In WinME, I can set the file handles (files=99)and save and
this solves my problem of not having enough file handles. In Win XP,
I save the same changes but it is not reflected when I use my
program. It appears that Win XP does not recognize that I have added
the (files=99) line to the config.sys. Does anybody understand why
this is happening? How do I change the file handles that will allow
me to use the program I need? Does anyone out there understand Dos
based Clipper especially in a Win XP environment?

On another note, why would some exec files work and others and other
freeze up the computer with the internal speaker alarm going off?

Your entries in Autoexec.bat and Config.sys are not being recognised by XP
for one reason:
XP does not parse Autoexec.bat or Config.sys. when starting up (or at any
time subsequent to starting up). Notice that the files have a zero length.
There is nothing in them, nor is there supposed to be anything in them.
They are there simply for compatibility purposes.

N

NobodyMan

Everybody heard you the first time, when you posted five minutes ago.

Impatience is not rewarded here.

Ask a Question