Click the bullet point button only bullets the first item in the list

Deane

The the cruelest of ironies, I cannot seem to get bullet points to
render correctly.

When I highlight text and press the bullet points button, it only
bullets the top line -- the first item in the list. To compare it to
Word, it's as if I'm only getting a line break after each item, not a
paragraph break.

PowerPoint 2007

Echo S

It's possible that's the case (that you have a soft return, not a hard
return). Where'd the text come from?

Deane

I typed it. I press Enter at the end of every line.

Deane

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007?http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm

The the cruelest of ironies, I cannot seem to get bullet points to
render correctly.
When I highlight text and press the bullet points button, it only
bullets the top line -- the first item in the list.  To compare it to
Word, it's as if I'm only getting a line break after each item, not a
paragraph break.
PowerPoint 2007

Echo S

Oh, geeze. Weird.

Are they maybe 2nd level bullet points? That is, did you hit Tab after
hitting Enter after each point?

Are you working in a placeholder (where it says "click to add text"), or is
this a "manual" ad hoc textbox?

I typed it. I press Enter at the end of every line.

Deane

It's possible that's the case (that you have a soft return, not a hard
return). Where'd the text come from?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007?http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyanceshttp://tinyurl.com/36grcd
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kithttp://tinyurl.com/32a7nx

The the cruelest of ironies, I cannot seem to get bullet points to
render correctly.
When I highlight text and press the bullet points button, it only
bullets the top line -- the first item in the list. To compare it to
Word, it's as if I'm only getting a line break after each item, not a
paragraph break.
PowerPoint 2007

Deane

They're not second-level. This is in a placeholder of one of the
master slides.

I've been playing with it, and for some reason, the Enter key is
acting like a line-break in all cases. I can't get it to act like a
paragraph break.

Deane

[...]

I think I figured it out --

The placeholders I'm using are Title placeholders. Apparently titles
handle line breaks and paragraph breaks differently.

Any idea how I can convert them?

"Deane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I typed it.  I press Enter at the end of every line.

On Jun 12, 9:51 am, "Echo S" <[email protected]>
wrote:
It's possible that's the case (that you have a soft return, not a hard
return). Where'd the text come from?
--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007?http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyanceshttp://tinyurl.com/36grcd
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kithttp://tinyurl.com/32a7nx

The the cruelest of ironies, I cannot seem to get bullet points to
render correctly.
When I highlight text and press the bullet points button, it only
bullets the top line -- the first item in the list. To compare it to
Word, it's as if I'm only getting a line break after each item, nota
paragraph break.
PowerPoint 2007

Echo S

ahhhhh, very interesting.

I think Title placeholders are designed to work text as "one paragraph."
What are you trying to do that you'd need more? And bullets in Title
placeholders also seems odd.

In PPT 2007, you can create your own placeholders. Is there a reason you're
not just using a typical text placeholder?

wrote:
It's possible that's the case (that you have a soft return, not a hard
return). Where'd the text come from?
--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007?http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyanceshttp://tinyurl.com/36grcd
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kithttp://tinyurl.com/32a7nx

The the cruelest of ironies, I cannot seem to get bullet points to
render correctly.
When I highlight text and press the bullet points button, it only
bullets the top line -- the first item in the list. To compare it to
Word, it's as if I'm only getting a line break after each item, not
paragraph break.
PowerPoint 2007

Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Bullets in Powerpoint

Thank you for this message thread! I was trying to insert a first line of text without a bullet, and then have a bullet list underneath, but powerpoint would only create a bullet on the first line.

It was because I was working with a Title Slide. I needed to insert a "Text Box" instead. When creating a new presentation, the first slide defaults to a Title slide. I created a "duplicate" slide for my second slide, which also meant that I had duplicated the Title Box. After creating the second slide, I needed to delete the Title Slide and insert a Text Box.