Click SP2 Update, fails to download

My Automatic Updates is set to "Notify me but don't automatically
download or install them".

On the 17th, I rec'd the notification to download SP2. I clicked
"Download" and nothing happened, the Update icon just disappeared and
that's the last I saw of it.

The same thing happened with my wife's computer (we share a cable
connection).

I haven't seen this behavior before when applying Updates, a window
usually appears and a horizontal bar indicates download progress -
nothing like that with the SP2 update.

Anybody know what that's all about? Has anyone else had a similar
experience?

Al

Buddy A LOT of people have experienced that same problem
including me (just read through all the posts). All you
have to do now is just wait till your notified that the
update is ready to install. Basically whats happening is
that you are currently waiting in a very long line. It
took me two days after I clicked the download button for
the Windows globe to finally come back and tell me I can
install. Just be patient.

stan

Happened to me also around the 18th of August, in the mean time I have
shutdown my computer and turned back on again on other days since I don't
leave my computer on unless I use it for a purpose. What now does the
download know that the download was not completed or do I now have to wait
until the CD's become available for order.
Stan

Miss Perspicacia Tick

My Automatic Updates is set to "Notify me but don't automatically
download or install them".

On the 17th, I rec'd the notification to download SP2. I clicked
"Download" and nothing happened, the Update icon just disappeared and
that's the last I saw of it.

The same thing happened with my wife's computer (we share a cable
connection).

I haven't seen this behavior before when applying Updates, a window
usually appears and a horizontal bar indicates download progress -
nothing like that with the SP2 update.

Anybody know what that's all about? Has anyone else had a similar
experience?

Al

Yes they have as you would have know had you bothered to search before
posting. I am now going to stop answering any more of these types of
questions as it has been asked - and answered - enough times to render it an
FAQ and therefore an answer can be found if a few minutes were spent
searching (i.e. Google Groups), so please do so.

Yes they have as you would have know had you bothered to search before
posting. I am now going to stop answering any more of these types of
questions as it has been asked - and answered - enough times to render it an
FAQ and therefore an answer can be found if a few minutes were spent
searching (i.e. Google Groups), so please do so.

FYI, I *did* read many (50-100) SP2 references in this NG and followed
many of the referenced links prior to posting my question. I found
exactly one post from a guy that had the same probem I described, and
he didn't know why either.

Anyway, if *you* had bothered to read the thread, you would've known
that someone had already answered my question and therefore your
criticism was little more than a gratuitous exercise in childish
self-indulgence.

So, I'd recommend you follow your own advice, sweetheart.

Omar

As a little twist on this experience, I also had auto-
updates set to "Notify, but don't download or install"
since I like to manually pick-and-choose the updates I
get. I have not noticed any network or disk activity
(related to downloading the SP2 update) since
clicking "download." This was a surprise to me since I
have a fast DSL connection to the internet.

Worried that MS really ment that the Auto-update utility
needed to be set to it's fully automatic option, I
changed my auto-update to the "recommended" settings.
We'll, I'm going on my fourth day and I still see no
network activity -- except when I access the network
myself of course.

One of the replies to the initial inquiry of (e-mail address removed)
suggests that I'm waiting in line. I hope that's true
and that I haven't screwed myself somehow. MS really
should have someway I checking the status of where one
stands with respect to downloading SP2 as it would save
me, and other's it sounds like, a lot of anxiety.

-Omar

not me either

Yes they have as you would have know had you bothered to
search before posting. I am now going to stop answering any
more of these types of questions.....

Well thank you for that!! Now, what do we have to do to get
you to not answer all the other types of questions?
Because, honestly, at least 3/4 of your answers aren't
answers to questions. They are just PMS outbursts ragging
on people for not being as smart as you think you are.

Feng Mao

Hi Al,

Thank you for posting!

We also recevied some similar reports on this issue. Currently, the
workaround is to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 from Windows Update site
directly.

When you are ready to download the service pack:

1. Go to the Windows Update Web site
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=4808).

2. Click Express Install (Recommended).

3. If your computer qualifies, Service Pack 2 will be one of the updates
automatically selected. Click Install.

4. Review and accept the End User License Agreement (EULA).

Service Pack 2 will be downloaded to your computer, and the Setup Wizard
will help you install it.

When you finish downloading Service Pack 2, the Welcome to Windows XP
Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard appears. Here's what to do during the
installation:

1. Make sure you have already made a copy of your personal files
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/backup.mspx).

2. In the Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard, click Next.

3. While updating your system, Windows checks your system to be sure it
complies with the Service Pack 2 requirements. Then it archives the service
pack files in case you want to remove SP2 later. Finally, it installs the
service pack. This can take a few minutes, so please wait.

4. After the installation is complete, restart your computer.

Make sure your security essentials are all marked ON by clicking Start,
clicking Control Panel, and then clicking Security Center. Now you're ready
to start using Windows XP SP2 with Advanced Security Technologies.

I recommend reading the information below before upgrading to Windows XP
SP2:

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

I hope that the above information is useful for you to upgrade Windows XP
Service Pack 2.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: Click SP2 Update, fails to download
| Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:44:29 GMT
|

| My Automatic Updates is set to "Notify me but don't automatically
| download or install them".
|
| On the 17th, I rec'd the notification to download SP2. I clicked
| "Download" and nothing happened, the Update icon just disappeared and
| that's the last I saw of it.
|
| The same thing happened with my wife's computer (we share a cable
| connection).
|
| I haven't seen this behavior before when applying Updates, a window
| usually appears and a horizontal bar indicates download progress -
| nothing like that with the SP2 update.
|
| Anybody know what that's all about? Has anyone else had a similar
| experience?
|
| Al

Bill Spring

Hi,

This all sounds very efficient but when I do this it simply tells me that
there are no updates available, yet the Security part is not so far
available on my PC. So where is it?

Bill