Cleaning up unused files on server

G

I am using FP2000. Apparently my alocated server disk space is full so I connected using FTP and found there are boat loads of long unused files still there that FP did not delete when they were deleted from the web on my PC. I need to clean up the server and don't know the best way to go about this. I can manually delete the unused files, but I do not know how to print out a list of the active files and folders in my currect web so I don't accidently delete things that are being used. Any suggestions?:
Patrick M

R

Rick Budde

If your web service provider has Front Page Extensions,
you could start a File Publish and view your disk based
web and server based web side-by-side in the Publish
dialog.

You could then navigate through each web and delete from
the server based web based on differences observed in the
dialog box.
-----Original Message-----
I am using FP2000. Apparently my alocated server disk
space is full so I connected using FTP and found there
are boat loads of long unused files still there that FP
did not delete when they were deleted from the web on my
PC. I need to clean up the server and don't know the best
way to go about this. I can manually delete the unused
files, but I do not know how to print out a list of the
active files and folders in my currect web so I don't
accidently delete things that are being used. Any
suggestions?:)

C

Crash Gordon

You could try...

Use FP to Publish:
When the Publish box opens for you to connect to your www.xxxx.com
enter your password etc. but don't click publish yet:

Choose the Options box on the lower left...then check:

Publish All AND Deterimine Changes by Comparing Files (something like that)....

Then as it publishes the web you will get popup warnings as to whether or not you want to delete the destination files or not. BTW, this will take a lot of clicking if you have a lot of old files online that you don't have locally.

Using FTP works to but it's more work (imo) and you may delete something you shouldn't.

R

| I am using FP2000. Apparently my alocated server disk space is full so I connected using FTP and found there are boat loads of long unused files still there that FP did not delete when they were deleted from the web on my PC. I need to clean up the server and don't know the best way to go about this. I can manually delete the unused files, but I do not know how to print out a list of the active files and folders in my currect web so I don't accidently delete things that are being used. Any suggestions?:)
| Patrick M

G

My apologies, but I am not familiar with File Publish. It sounds good, and my provider does have FrontPage Extensions, but I don't know how to do it, and a search of FP Help didn't come up with anything that sounded promising. Can you help me out here?

G

Thanks for the advise, but the option you mentioned was not available on my version of FP (FP2000). I have "Publish changed pages only" and "Publish all pages overwiting any already on the destination." I selected the latter this time and all that happened was I re-published my ENTIRE web site (took about 30 minutes) but no pop ups or anything about deleting files on the destination. Sometimes (rarely) I used to get pop ups when I published saying that a file existed on the desitnation but was not in the current web, and did I want to delete it. But those are so rare as to be non-existent. This is very frustrating! Any more suggestions? :
Patrick M

S

Steve Easton

Open your live site using http:// and then click View > Reports > Problems >
unlinked files.
be aware that the favicon, custom error pages and files called by javascript
will show as unlinked.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............