Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

Hey guys!
Been looking into this limit, and its bugging the living daylight out of me.
If I start formatting the text in the header/footer I get the 255 limit
(adding bold here and there).
Is there a way to circumvent this, or make a header and footer trough
lockable cells in excel?

Bernard Liengme

If there was a way to circumvent the 255 limit, then 255 would not be the
limit but some other value would!
You know about Page Setup and having set rows printed on every page?
best wishes

There is usually more than one way to attack a problem, no? :)

Yes, I've explored the Page Setup dialog, but in Excel 2003 (should have
mentioned this in my original post, sorry) it seems as if Im limited to only
the Top of the sheet, and not the bottom as well.

Dave Peterson

Maybe you can create a picture of the text you want (using a different
application).

Then you could insert that picture in the header/footer.

Jim Cone

It appears a "Rows to Repeat at Bottom" feature in Excel
was something you were looking for. So let me relate that I am in the
later stages of development of an Excel add-in "Special Print" that
provides that feature.
It creates a copy of your worksheet with the specified rows added to
the bottom of the each page. You print from the new sheet.

I am in need of suggestions for and a critique of the program.
If you are interested and willing to provide your comments about the program,
please let me know and I will forward a copy.
Remove XXX from my email address: (e-mail address removed)

Those who respond should use their real name and indicate their
geographic location.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Cato Larsen"
wrote in message
There is usually more than one way to attack a problem, no? :)

Yes, I've explored the Page Setup dialog, but in Excel 2003 (should have
mentioned this in my original post, sorry) it seems as if Im limited to only
the Top of the sheet, and not the bottom as well.

Hey Jim.
Thank you for the offer, but as I'm currently working for the Norwegian Army
on a NATO Restricted platform, just getting the testing and authorization to
be able to use the program would take 2-3 months.

Thank you for your offer though!

Ive considered the use of pictures to replace the text. the problem is that
this is a template that will be used for a lot of different documents, and
the people using this template has limited experience with photo editing
software and so fourth.

Is there any smart way of doing this trough VB or similar?

Dave Peterson

If the headers/footers don't change, maybe you could create a template (or
several) and never let the users know that there are pictures there.

Pretty much everything the template contain in the header and footer is
dynamic.
Document name, date, author, path to document, page and so fourth, so this
is not feasible.