"circular" concentric charts - like a pilot's plotting/nav computer

O

oldyork90

I just reviewed this.... If you've never seen a pilot's manual plotting computer, please ignore this post. It wouldn't make sense. (This really needsa picture)

I want to make multiple concentric "pie" charts. These charts will share acommon center where the smallest chart (the "inner" wheel) overlays the larger. If you've ever seen a pilot's plotting computer you know what I mean..

The inner wheel will chart 24 hours thru 360 degrees. (In this discussion,0 degrees is directly to the right, 180, directly to the left)

The time labels in this inner (smallest) time wheel, will be inside the circle and will be normal to the circle's edge. The label at 180 degrees willbe erect, the label at 0 degrees will be upside down (as viewed when 180 degrees is to the left). As you turn the wheel, numbers at the 180 "position" (the user's left) become erect.

The next larger pie chart, or "wheel" will contain process times. These labels will be on the outside of the circle, again, normal to the circle's surface. By moving the current time to inner wheel to match the current process position, the end time of the current process can be calculated. For example setting, time now -> process step 4, will find an ending time across from "process complete".

I'm sure someone has done this before. Does anyone have a link?

M

Martin Brown

I just reviewed this.... If you've never seen a pilot's manual plotting computer, please ignore this post. It wouldn't make sense. (This really needs a picture)

I want to make multiple concentric "pie" charts. These charts will share a common center where the smallest chart (the "inner" wheel) overlays the larger. If you've ever seen a pilot's plotting computer you know what I mean.

The inner wheel will chart 24 hours thru 360 degrees. (In this discussion, 0 degrees is directly to the right, 180, directly to the left)

The time labels in this inner (smallest) time wheel, will be inside the circle and will be normal to the circle's edge. The label at 180 degrees will be erect, the label at 0 degrees will be upside down (as viewed when 180 degrees is to the left). As you turn the wheel, numbers at the 180 "position" (the user's left) become erect.

The next larger pie chart, or "wheel" will contain process times. These labels will be on the outside of the circle, again, normal to the circle's surface. By moving the current time to inner wheel to match the current process position, the end time of the current process can be calculated. For example setting, time now -> process step 4, will find an ending time across from "process complete".

I'm sure someone has done this before. Does anyone have a link?

Your description of what you want is too opaque to make sense of but
can't this be roughly done already by using radar plots?

Ask a Question