Chronological Numbering

I have 30 spreadsheets in one file, and would like to chronologicaly number
them (have a certain cell display the number of that spreadsheet). I don't
want to have to go to each spreadsheet and write a formula linking that
spreadsheet to the previous one. Is there a way to have the cell in each
spreadsheet look up the value of the same cell in the previous spreadsheet
and add 1, without having to do this manually on every single one?

Thanks

Bernard Liengme

Group the sheets (click first tab, hold SHIFT, click last tab)
In cell of first sheet enter
=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)
Now that cell will show "Sheet1", "Sheet2", ....
File must have been saved at least once before this works
best wishes

Chronological Numbering

Bernard,

This seems to work fine. The problem, however, is that I have the tabs of
the spreadsheets labeled with different names. The values that I need in the
cell are simply a chronnological 1-30...

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

Chronological Numbering said:
I have 30 spreadsheets in one file, and would like to chronologicaly number
them (have a certain cell display the number of that spreadsheet). I don't
want to have to go to each spreadsheet and write a formula linking that
spreadsheet to the previous one. Is there a way to have the cell in each
spreadsheet look up the value of the same cell in the previous spreadsheet
and add 1, without having to do this manually on every single one?

Thanks

Peo Sjoblom

It will show the real sheet name, Bernard used Sheet1 etc as an example
using the built in sheet names

Peo Sjoblom

Bernard Liengme said:
Group the sheets (click first tab, hold SHIFT, click last tab)
In cell of first sheet enter
=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)
Now that cell will show "Sheet1", "Sheet2", ....
File must have been saved at least once before this works
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Chronological Numbering"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
I have 30 spreadsheets in one file, and would like to chronologicaly
number
them (have a certain cell display the number of that spreadsheet). I
don't
want to have to go to each spreadsheet and write a formula linking that
spreadsheet to the previous one. Is there a way to have the cell in
each
spreadsheet look up the value of the same cell in the previous
spreadsheet
and add 1, without having to do this manually on every single one?

Thanks

Bernie Deitrick

How about a macro?

Sub DoNumbering()