Choppy sound playing DV-AVI

G

I wanted to make a lossless copy of a MiniDV tape and also save the video for playback on my computer.

So I used Windows MM2 to "Capture from video device" a 54 second DV clip from a Sony DCR-TRV38 MiniDV camcorder using a firewire connection, saving it as a (192MB) DV-AVI file, dragged the clip to the storyboard and then used Windows MM2 to "Send to DV camera" back to the camcorder to record on a blank tape. I think this worked okay--the video and audio seems to be identical to the original.

But when I used Windows MM2 to "Save to my computer" either as a "DV-AVI (NTSC)" file (192MB) or a "Best quality playback for my computer" (WMV 1.7 Mbps, 720x480 pixels, 4:3 aspect ratio, 30 fps) and play either back using Windows MM2 or Windows Media Player or RealPlayer the sound is either very choppy (playing the DV-AVI file) or the audio is very choppy and out of sync with the video (on playback of the WMV file).

My desktop computer has a 1GHz Pentium III processor, 384MB RAM, a Matrox Millenium G400 Max 32MB video card and two 200GB 7200rpm 8MB cache hard drives running Windows XP Professional. Windows MM2 requires a 600MHz processor and a 1.5GHz processor is recommended.

What is causing the choppy sound on playback?

Is my computer's processor just too slow to playback (or maybe even properly capture) the video? Or is there something else causing the problem?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

G

I am having the same problem also...when I make a movie with footage from my DV camera that I save as (DV-Send back to camera after done editing) and create clips and add audio tracks and then send it back to the camera- I get choppy audio.

we have a 1GHz

Ask a Question