.CHK files + how to recover

Reaction score
Dear All,

Could you please help me to recover .CHK files or suggest any software that can recover. Lately my 50ogb data has converted all .doc, .xls, .pdf jpeg, .psd files and many other files all to .CHK files. Additionally, my External drive is properties shows USED=419 GB (which should be real file size) but the document inside has only about 256 GB. I suspect some files are hidden which i could not unhide. Please help....

Already tried [mucks' edit : something that was supposed to work] but was unsuccessful. I have windows 7

Hearty thank you in advance

Regards
Dochula

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
.CHK are recovered lost cluster chains. The clusters might get lost when file operations are interrupted abnormally. In the case of an USB drive, that might happen when you physically unplug the device before "Safely Removing Hardware" (actually, before the OS has finished writing cached data to the medium).

A single .CHK file may contain

a single entire file (or multiple entire files),
a part (or multiple parts) of a file (or multiple files) or
a really messy mix of the above.

Most often recovering something useful from those .CHK files is an extremely complicated (though, not entirely impossible) the thing to do, is, in most cases, to simply delete them.

You could simply rename them, if you have some idea of what they are, and then they can just be open.

I have never had a genuine case where they contained any real data. YMMV

... some files are hidden which i could not unhide
you have unhide them yes?

If it's a virus, stay on the BleepingComputer's site and ask for advice in removing it. :)

welcome to the forums

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I would still look forward for the help. I know technical experts would be able to retrive from .chk files. I realy dont know why windows create such files. If if is not recoverable it should have deleted by default than create unreadable files. I have my dear phoots and documents in it.

Thank you and lookforward for any help

regards
Dochu

Ask a Question