Cheaper rival to Camtasia screen recorder!

joe black

I have tried Camtasia Studio and found it to be OK, however it's too
expensive for me, The product I use is BB FlashBack ". It's relatively
new but it does the job – and it's cheaper.
It has most of the features Camtasia has, and the recording is
smoother.

Jim

joe said:
I have tried Camtasia Studio and found it to be OK, however it's too
expensive for me, The product I use is BB FlashBack ". It's relatively
new but it does the job - and it's cheaper.
It has most of the features Camtasia has, and the recording is
smoother.

Shareware.
From the website (http://www.bbconsult.co.uk/BBFlashBack.aspx):

"Download and use for free
BB FlashBack can be downloaded and used for 15 days for free. No feature
restrictions."

Colin

try out ..
CamStudio 2.1

----

CamStudio records screen activity from your Windows Desktop into standard
AVI movie files. It is an ideal tool for developing videos to demonstrate
features of a new software or any other task that requires the capture of
desktop activity. The program is easy to use, and you can select an area or
full desktop for recording. You can adjust the video quality settings to
reduce file size, use custom cursors and add a soundtrack through your
microphone or speakers. Furthermore, you can add screen captions to your
desktop while recording. These captions are anti-aliased, high quality
images that support text display in multiple languages. With the Video
Annotation feature, you can also personalize your movie by including a
webcam movie of yourself into the AVI.

License : Freeware about 9Mb ( YES NINE MB) download

http://www.brothersoft.com/Multimedia_Graphics_Screen_Capture_CamStudio_3944
..html

or

an earlier version..
from http://www.swftools.com/tool-details.php?tool=8162413051

only 1.3 Mb,

( thanks to Bent Madsen, who originally posted message regarding the
Camstudio story around the beginning of April)

Good Luck,.
Colin

Susan Bugher

Colin said:
try out ..
CamStudio 2.1
or

an earlier version..
from http://www.swftools.com/tool-details.php?tool=8162413051

only 1.3 Mb,

( thanks to Bent Madsen, who originally posted message regarding the
Camstudio story around the beginning of April)

I just looked at Bent's post and he recommends the earlier version (v
2.0) and notes v 2.1 is adware.

<q>

Subject: CamStudio 2.0 - Last Freeware/Open Source version
From: Bent Møller Madsen <bmmATbusinessDOTaucDOTdk>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 05:46:06 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware

Just want to make sure that this great little software isn't forgotten.
For those who don't know CamStudio is used to record all screen activity
from your Windows Desktop into AVI or Flash (SWF) movie files for use in
software demonstrations and active presentations.

CamStudio was for a long time developed and available from
http://www.rendersoftware.com/ (and formerly
http://www.atomixbuttons.com/vsc/)

From version 1.8 (I think) and also the last interesting version (2.0)
the source code was also made available.

But then the software was bought by eHelp that already made the
commercial RoboDemo tutorial creating software. eHelp created a new
version 2.1 that to my knowledge mostly (only?) made the software worse.

- It was turned into adware that also had to be registered (for free)
- The source code was no longer available
- They removed the flash output option
- The install file increased from 1.3 to 9.2 MB
- They added a more fancy help file

Shortly afterwards eHelp was bought by Macromedia and CamStudio was
entirely dropped in the proces. It is now only available from other
sites that has saved the download.

CamStudio 2.0 can still be downloaded from this site:
http://www.swftools.com/tool-details.php?tool=8162413051

"Direct" link:
http://www.swftools.com/download.php?type=win&tool=8162413051&src=local

CamStudio Lossless Codec - a codec optimized for screen capturing (found
at this site: http://membres.lycos.fr/sonicdiscovery/music.htm):
http://membres.lycos.fr/sonicdiscovery/download/divers/camcodec.zip

The source code for CamStudio 2.0 is available here:
http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/sources/camstudio/

More history/discussion in french about the development of CamStudio and
how the source got unavailable after eHelp bought the software:
http://www.cornalys.com/camstudio/

Regards,
Bent Madsen

</q>