Changing a folder template when that folder is a drive partition

Tony

I've just finished setting up a new PC with Windows XP SP2. I have a single
hard drive that I've split into two partitions, one for the OS (C:) and one
for all my data (D:).

Windows has got it into its head that the D: partition should use the
"picture folder" template, so it has the photo watermark in the bottom right
and displays a list of "Picture Tasks" on the left. How do I change it to
use the plain "document" template? For any other folder I could use the
"View -> Customize This Folder" option or the "Properties -> Customize"
option and change the template easily, but because this folder is the root
of a drive partition the "Properties" it shows me won't let me customize it
like that.

Thanks,
Tony

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Tony,

To fix the problem, try one of the following methods:

[Option 1]
Resetting the folder settings:

Click Start, Run and type C:\
Click Tools, Folder Options
In the View tab, click "Reset all folders"
Click OK.
Close the folder

[Option 2]
See: "Common Tasks Don't Match Folder Type"
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

[Option 3]
You can use Keith Miller's script to fix the problem. Download
"TaskPaneFix.zip" from here:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize/msg/d7dd4582cc4b2e99
Note: Close all folder windows before running this script.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I've just finished setting up a new PC with Windows XP SP2. I have a single
hard drive that I've split into two partitions, one for the OS (C:) and one
for all my data (D:).

Windows has got it into its head that the D: partition should use the
"picture folder" template, so it has the photo watermark in the bottom right
and displays a list of "Picture Tasks" on the left. How do I change it to
use the plain "document" template? For any other folder I could use the
"View -> Customize This Folder" option or the "Properties -> Customize"
option and change the template easily, but because this folder is the root
of a drive partition the "Properties" it shows me won't let me customize it
like that.

Thanks,
Tony

Ramesh, MS-MVP

You're welcome!

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Ayush" <ayush[X]maan.j at gmail.com> wrote in message
Tahnks , Option 1 solved my problem.

Yesterday I found my D:/ to have the same issue, was showing Music Tasks.
Remedies 1 and 2 didn't work but the 3rd option got the job done nice and
easily.

Ramesh, I thank you.
-Zyrk

Ramesh, MS-MVP