Change the username found in "C:\Documents and Settings\Username"

The Reluctant Robot Named Jude

Hi,

I know this is an issue with quite the reputation for having an elusive
solution (if one even exists), but I will ask.

Does anyone know how to change the name appearing in the C:\Documents and
Settings\Username path? I have changed the name of my User Account, as well
as editing the RegisteredOwner key in my registry (found under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion), though the
name appearing in the C:\Documents and Settings\Username path will not
change.

I am running Windows XP.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time.

Carrie Garth

| "The Reluctant Robot Named Jude"
| in message
| <SNIP> Does anyone know how to change the name appearing in the
| C:\Documents and Settings\Username path? I have changed the name of
| my User Account, as well as editing the RegisteredOwner key in my
| registry (found under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
| NT\CurrentVersion), though the name appearing in the C:\Documents
| and Settings\Username path will not change. I am running WindowsXP.

The first step (which it sounds like you have already performed) is to
rename the account as outlined in the "More Information" section of
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article KB810881).

KB283111 - Logon Name Does Not Match Name in Task Manager or Under
Documents and Settings
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;283111

Then log on as another user, and one that has Administrative
privileges, and rename the folder that appears under the Documents and
Settings folder for the user to reflect this new name. That is,
right-click the applicable C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>
folder and choose Rename.

Then edit the ProfileImagePath value in the registry to reflect the
new path to the user profile. See the following Microsoft Knowledge
Base Article, section titled: To Edit the User Profile Registry Key,
for the basic idea. Obviously the steps will be slightly modified
since you are not restoring a profile, simply renaming it.

KB324734 - HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=324734

Kelly

As per the first article:

NOTE: This does not change the name of the folder that appears under the
Documents and Settings folder for the user.

As per the second article:

Have you tried this in XP?

Carrie Garth

:|: "The Reluctant Robot Named Jude"
:|: <[email protected]>
:|: wrote in message
:|: <SNIP> Does anyone know how to change the name appearing in the
:|: C:\Documents and Settings\Username path? <SNIP>

:| :| <SNIP> rename the account [as in] <SNIP> KB810881<SNIP> log on as
:| another user, and one that has Administrative privileges, and
:| rename the folder <SNIP> Then edit the ProfileImagePath value in
:| the registry to reflect the new path to the user profile [as in]
:| <SNIP> KB324734.

: : As per the first article:
:
: NOTE: This does not change the name of the folder that appears under
: the Documents and Settings folder for the user.
:
: As per the second article:
:
: Have you tried this in XP?

Yep. I created a user named Test. Logged in as Test (to create the
Documents and Settings\Test folders). Logged in as Administrator and
used the Users Accounts Applet to change the name of Test to
TestChanged. Ran Explorer and renamed Documents and Settings\Test to
Documents and Settings\TestChanged. Ran regedit and changed:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-<RestOfSID>
Name: ProfileImagePath
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ

Data: %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\TestChanged

Logged in as the user TestChanged and verified the %HOMEPATH% by
running cmd.exe and typing this command: set homepath

C:\>set homepath
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\TestChanged