Change pages open in 'contents' frame w/o opening multiple frames.

How can I get pages to CHANGE in the 'contents' frame (in the frameset page),
instead of opening up multiple copies of the frameset?

This seems to be what is happening within FP2003, but I'm also having
another problem: when I preview in IE6, new pages open up out of the
frameset.

I'm using a TOC link bar on a frameset page - both the TOC link bar and each
main page has default targets set for the 'contents' frame on the frameset
page.

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

Set the links target to contents.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

The link targets are set to 'contents', the base target in the frameset page
is set to 'contents', and the default target="contents" for each of the pages
that gets linked directly from the TOC linkbar. ...so.... what else can I
check? ??

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
Set the links target to contents.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Change pages open in 'contents' frame w/o
opening multiple frames.
Subject: Change pages open in 'contents' frame w/o opening
multiple frames.

How can I get pages to CHANGE in the 'contents' frame (in the
frameset page), instead of opening up multiple copies of the
frameset?

This seems to be what is happening within FP2003, but I'm
also having another problem: when I preview in IE6, new
pages open up out of the frameset.

I'm using a TOC link bar on a frameset page - both the TOC
link bar and each main page has default targets set for the
'contents' frame on the frameset page.

Thomas A. Rowe

If you are using FP navigation components, they were not designed to be used with Frames.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
Set the links target to contents.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Change pages open in 'contents' frame w/o
opening multiple frames.
multiple frames.

How can I get pages to CHANGE in the 'contents' frame (in the
frameset page), instead of opening up multiple copies of the
frameset?

This seems to be what is happening within FP2003, but I'm
also having another problem: when I preview in IE6, new
pages open up out of the frameset.

I'm using a TOC link bar on a frameset page - both the TOC
link bar and each main page has default targets set for the
'contents' frame on the frameset page.

Thomas - well call me floored. Did I hear you right? FP generated link bar
TOC won't function properly inside a FP frame?

If so - please confirm. I appreciate any information that gets this monster
operational, and will put individual links in place of the link bar if that
is the problem. Will that solve it you think?

Is there some way that I should have known that FP components won't work in
a page format (frames) commonly found in FP templates? Is there an easier
way to find this stuff out? ...well having you tell me was easy - but
fighting with it for longer than I'd like to admit first - wasn't.

Apart from link bars...what else doesn't work with frames?

This is me banging my head against the wall, but with a ray of hope and a
pending sigh of relief! |`:<_ ... ~:}

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
Set the links target to contents.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Change pages open in 'contents' frame w/o
opening multiple frames.
multiple frames.

How can I get pages to CHANGE in the 'contents' frame (in the
frameset page), instead of opening up multiple copies of the
frameset?

This seems to be what is happening within FP2003, but I'm
also having another problem: when I preview in IE6, new
pages open up out of the frameset.

I'm using a TOC link bar on a frameset page - both the TOC
link bar and each main page has default targets set for the
'contents' frame on the frameset page.

Murray

Probably shouldn't be using frames in the first place. Are you prepared for
ALL the problems?

--
Murray

Thomas A. Rowe said:
If you are using FP navigation components, they were not designed to be
used with Frames.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

message

:

Set the links target to contents.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Change pages open in 'contents' frame w/o
opening multiple frames.
multiple frames.

How can I get pages to CHANGE in the 'contents' frame (in the
frameset page), instead of opening up multiple copies of the
frameset?

This seems to be what is happening within FP2003, but I'm
also having another problem: when I preview in IE6, new
pages open up out of the frameset.

I'm using a TOC link bar on a frameset page - both the TOC
link bar and each main page has default targets set for the
'contents' frame on the frameset page.

When I chose to use frames, I thought that the main objections were that some
browsers aren't compatible. Since this particular web is going to be an
in-house program, CD or C: based, with control over brower versions, I
thought the choice was reasonable.

Apparently I'm not prepared for all the problems. On the other hand, I
don't know how to achieve the goal of having a detailed navigation structure
'framework' to guide the user through a very complicated series of documents.

But I really need to get this done (soon), and I know nothing of how to set
up cells and scripts for inserts. yet. If you think that learning curve
would be quicker, that getting this frameset operational , please let me
know...and perhaps point me to good examples.
Thanks.

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

Since the days of FP97/98, the FP navigation components were not meant or designed to be used with
Framesets. A frameset is a frameset, there is nothing special about the Framesets that FP generates.

In general frames are a pain, I stopped using them back in 1999.

Begging4u2help said:
[...]

Almost all browser supports frames, the main problem is user trying to bookmark pages, print pages,
etc.

If you want to use frames, then you have to manually create and manage your navigation structure.

Begging4u2help said:
[...]

Jon Spivey

In general frames are a pain, I stopped using them back in 1999.
That should go down as one of the 5 best bits of advice this newsgroup can
offer you

--
Cheers,
Jon

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

Thanks for your reply.

I removed the generated link bar from the 'TOC' frame, and inserted a few
hyperlinks targeting 'contents'. The pages open in the 'contents' frame,
but I'm still getting multiple copies of the parent frameset page opening.
Is this there a fix?

****************

This is my first web, and likely my last web with frames!
I admit - I'm a web design novice and unfortunately ignorant....is there an
easier (efficient) way to find out things to avoid like the plague?

I went through several web design tutorials before I chose to use frames,
including MS's, in which the uses of frames were touted, but the drawbacks
were not pointed out. At least two of the tutorials linked from this site
discuss using frames as if it is an acceptable part of web design. I
appreciate that this site tries to steer one away from frames. It would be
more educational if there were links or examples of at least a few of the
reasons why.

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

And they have been proven to cause migraines.

| Since the days of FP97/98, the FP navigation components were not meant or designed to be used with
| Framesets. A frameset is a frameset, there is nothing special about the Framesets that FP generates.
|
| In general frames are a pain, I stopped using them back in 1999.
|
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| | > Thomas - well call me floored. Did I hear you right? FP generated link bar
| > TOC won't function properly inside a FP frame?
| >
| > If so - please confirm. I appreciate any information that gets this monster
| > operational, and will put individual links in place of the link bar if that
| > is the problem. Will that solve it you think?
| >
| > Is there some way that I should have known that FP components won't work in
| > a page format (frames) commonly found in FP templates? Is there an easier
| > way to find this stuff out? ...well having you tell me was easy - but
| > fighting with it for longer than I'd like to admit first - wasn't.
| >
| > Apart from link bars...what else doesn't work with frames?
| >
| > This is me banging my head against the wall, but with a ray of hope and a
| > pending sigh of relief! |`:<_ ... ~:}
| >
| > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| >
| >> If you are using FP navigation components, they were not designed to be used with Frames.
| >>
| >> --
| >> ==============================================
| >> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| >> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >>
| >> FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| >> ==============================================
| >> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| >> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

Tom Pepper Willett

My gosh, Rob..is there not a post you won't reply to?

Tom
"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message And they have been proven to cause migraines.

| Since the days of FP97/98, the FP navigation components were not meant or
designed to be used with
| Framesets. A frameset is a frameset, there is nothing special about the
Framesets that FP generates.

| In general frames are a pain, I stopped using them back in 1999.
|
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

message
| | > Thomas - well call me floored. Did I hear you right? FP generated link
bar
| > TOC won't function properly inside a FP frame?
| >
| > If so - please confirm. I appreciate any information that gets this
monster
| > operational, and will put individual links in place of the link bar if
that
| > is the problem. Will that solve it you think?
| >
| > Is there some way that I should have known that FP components won't work
in
| > a page format (frames) commonly found in FP templates? Is there an
easier
| > way to find this stuff out? ...well having you tell me was easy - but
| > fighting with it for longer than I'd like to admit first - wasn't.
| >
| > Apart from link bars...what else doesn't work with frames?
| >
| > This is me banging my head against the wall, but with a ray of hope and
| > pending sigh of relief! |`:<_ ... ~:}
| >
| > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| >
| >> If you are using FP navigation components, they were not designed to be
used with Frames.

| >> --
| >> ==============================================
| >> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| >> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >>
| >> FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| >> ==============================================
| >> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| >> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

message

My gosh Tom, you can be such a grouch sometimes.

Is there a rule against having a good time here too...or is it supposed to be a grouchy business only place? No need to answer, I can guess what your answer will be.

Merry Christmas.

| My gosh, Rob..is there not a post you won't reply to?
|
| Tom
| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | And they have been proven to cause migraines.
|

| | | Since the days of FP97/98, the FP navigation components were not meant or
| designed to be used with
| | Framesets. A frameset is a frameset, there is nothing special about the
| Framesets that FP generates.
| |
| | In general frames are a pain, I stopped using them back in 1999.
| |
| | --
| | ==============================================
| | Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| |
| | FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| | ==============================================
| | To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| | http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| |
| message
| bar
| | > TOC won't function properly inside a FP frame?
| | >
| | > If so - please confirm. I appreciate any information that gets this
| monster
| | > operational, and will put individual links in place of the link bar if
| that
| | > is the problem. Will that solve it you think?
| | >
| | > Is there some way that I should have known that FP components won't work
| in
| | > a page format (frames) commonly found in FP templates? Is there an
| easier
| | > way to find this stuff out? ...well having you tell me was easy - but
| | > fighting with it for longer than I'd like to admit first - wasn't.
| | >
| | > Apart from link bars...what else doesn't work with frames?
| | >
| | > This is me banging my head against the wall, but with a ray of hope and
| | > pending sigh of relief! |`:<_ ... ~:}

| used with Frames.

| message
| frameset page
| the pages
| can I

Ronx

What pages are those links opening?
It sounds as if the links are opening a frameset page, rather than a content
page. If this is the case change the target for those links to _top.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

Yeah - my guess is that the framesets have not been made/saved properly....

--
Murray

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

Rob - Thanks for stopping in. I'm trying to have a good time, but have a
frameset migraine.

Thomas - You're welcome to be as grouchy as u like, especially if you have
something helpful to say...like (to paraphrase) " link bars won't work in
frames" ! That is what you meant - yes?

So...
Because of Thomas's feed back ... I removed the generated link bar from the
'TOC' frame, and inserted a few individual hyperlinks targeting 'contents'.

The pages open in the 'contents' frame, but I'm still getting multiple
copies of the parent frameset page opening. I'm still trying to find a
fix...anyone?

Maybe the fix requires JavaScript (see the 'framesevil' tutorial referenced
below). I predict a new skill being developed on Christmas Eve. If anyone
can suggest the proper JS syntax to accomplish this, I will shower blessings
on their head(s).

Alternatively, does anyone have good code examples that achieve my goal? for
a similar (TOC linking to contents-portion of page) layout using cells? I
really need to focus on CONTENT and stop fussing with the layout, but the
CONTENT is pointless if they can't find what they need!

_____________________________

To anyone who is considering frames, 1. DON'T! 2. If you want to find out
why, or are a masochist that insists on trying frames, I would recommend the
following tutorial (I'm going through it at the moment):

[link]http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php[/link]

It is well written, and provides syntax detail, specific problems,
work-arounds, and - it seems - good all around advice. This site was
suggested by Dave Prescott, posted on the OutFront Beginner's forum (
[link]http://www.frontpagewebmaster.com/forumid-4/tt.htm[/link]) to another
beginner who was trying to fix his frames.
_____________________________

Jon Spivey

Hi,
Can you post up the URL of the offending page? This will make it much easier
to help you. You'd better have a good reason for using frames though :)

Murray

Nope - that reason's not good enough (just anticipating the response to
this).

--
Murray

Begging4u2help said:
[...]

At this point - the only reasons I can come up with are
...that I was seduced into believing that frames are easy and the obvious
choice for this layout.
..and that I have the parent frame set up - sort of.

I can't post the url, because this the local version is on my harddrive, and
it will be published to CD, to be run off of CD or the user's C:. The web is
an interface for a set of confidential documents...BUT I CAN post the parent
frameset code.