Change default zoom?

grammatim

The text is 12 pt., the footnotes are 10 pt. I'm in Normal rather than
Page view because Word2003 insists on "repaginating" after just about
any operation, which takes several seconds. I would like my footnote
pane to open at 120% rather than 100% -- I don't want to change my
footnotes to 12 pt. because I want to know where my page breaks really
are.

Is there any way to reset the footnote zoom? (The footnote pane goes
away whenever I add a Comment, and I have to change its zoom again,
and there isn't even a 120% in the zoom menu, so I have to type it
each time.)

Thank you.

Stefan Blom

You can intercept the commands for inserting footnotes and endnotes with
macros. The following simple code should do the job:

Sub InsertFootnote()
Dialogs(wdDialogInsertFootnote).Show
If ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdMasterView Or _
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdNormalView Then

ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom = 120

End If
End Sub

Sub InsertFootnoteNow()

Selection.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range
If ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdMasterView Or _
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdNormalView Then

ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom = 120

End If
End Sub

Sub InsertEndnoteNow()
Selection.Endnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range
If ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdMasterView Or _
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdNormalView Then

ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom = 120

End If
End Sub

Place the macros in an add-in, or in normal.dot. If you need assistance, see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

in message

grammatim

I can see where that could be useful in the future, but I'm not
writing footnotes, I'm editing them. It looks from this like a toolbar
button just to do the zooming could be done; not that I've ever had
any luck with macros.

(A guy in Germany wrote me a really nifty one for converting numbers
to words, but when I finally got it to work, the other ones, which I
had inherited but didn't use anyway, no longer worked; and when he
fixed a little mistake, it no longer worked at all! Likewise the one
he did for sorting Bible references in an index, where Bible
references aren't allowed to have leading zeroes ...)

Stefan Blom

Try this variant:

Sub ViewFootnotes()
If ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdMasterView Or _
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdOutlineView Or _
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdWebView Or _
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdNormalView Then

If ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial <> _
wdPaneFootnotes Then

ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneFootnotes
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom = 120

Else
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneNone

End If

End If
End Sub

to intercept the show/hide footnotes command in Word. Again, put it in
normal.dot.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

in message
I can see where that could be useful in the future, but I'm not
writing footnotes, I'm editing them. It looks from this like a toolbar
button just to do the zooming could be done; not that I've ever had
any luck with macros.

(A guy in Germany wrote me a really nifty one for converting numbers
to words, but when I finally got it to work, the other ones, which I
had inherited but didn't use anyway, no longer worked; and when he
fixed a little mistake, it no longer worked at all! Likewise the one
he did for sorting Bible references in an index, where Bible
references aren't allowed to have leading zeroes ...)

grammatim

Thank you -- does this mean it will show me the enlarged footnotes
whenever I View them in Normal view, without having to do anything
else?

(I send this reply mostly so as to have an opportunity to email myself
a copy of the code(? is that what you call the programming? Is that
written in VBA, or is VBA another step below what macros are written
in?) so I can put it into my normal.dot; the instructions you referred
me to last time looked (at 1 am) like they will be detailed enough to
follow -- and maybe even get the other two macros back.)

Stefan Blom

Well, you have to click View | Footnotes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

in message