Cell shading with conditional formatting

I use the following conditional formatting formula =MOD(ROW(),2)+1<=1 to
alternate colors for my spreadsheet. Whenever I insert a row it will
automatically adjust the rows to be alternating colors. But, I cell shade
(using light grey) some of the cells in this spreadsheet. Some of these
greyed cells are on the WHITE rows and some are on the LIGHT BLUE rows
(relating to the conditional formatting formula). I cannot see the greyed
out cells when they're on the light blue rows (it doesn't show up). How can
I fix this?

Biff

Are the gray cells set with conditional formatting?

The conditional formatting of the banded rows will have precedence over
manual formatting. If the gray cells are conditionally formatted then set
that formatting first as condition 1 then set the row banding as condition
2.

Biff

Jim Cone

As you found out, conditional formatted fill colors take priority over standard cell fill colors.
Also, conditionally formatted borders can produce unexpected results as the border
color displayed can vary with the border thickness and with which cell owns the border.

As an alternative to CF of alternate rows, you might want to try the free
Excel add-in "Shade Data Rows" to do the shading.
You can shade by cell value, every nth row or in row groups using any color.
Download from ... http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"tjsmags" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I use the following conditional formatting formula =MOD(ROW(),2)+1<=1 to
alternate colors for my spreadsheet. Whenever I insert a row it will
automatically adjust the rows to be alternating colors. But, I cell shade
(using light grey) some of the cells in this spreadsheet. Some of these
greyed cells are on the WHITE rows and some are on the LIGHT BLUE rows
(relating to the conditional formatting formula). I cannot see the greyed
out cells when they're on the light blue rows (it doesn't show up). How can
I fix this?

Dallman Ross

Jim Cone said:
As an alternative to CF of alternate rows, you might
want to try the free Excel add-in "Shade Data Rows" to
do the shading. You can shade by cell value, every nth
row or in row groups using any color. Download from ...

Jim,

Looks slick. Is there a way for it to dynamically adjust the
shading when rows are inserted, deleted, sorted, and so on?
Like the OP, I am using conditional formatting for may shading
with the MOD function. But I would like to recover my
"used up" CF from the three I get in XL 2002.

Dallman Ross

Jim Cone

Dallman,
No there is no way to make it dynamic.
The program does makes it fairly easy to redo shading whenever necessary.
Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
http://www.officeletter.com/blink/specialsort.html

Jim Cone said:
Dallman,
No there is no way to make it dynamic. The program does makes it
fairly easy to redo shading whenever necessary.

Okay. I understand; and thanks. You have a few nice looking
toys on your page, in any case. I will look some more at them!

-dman- (native of the Bay Area; nowadays in Europe for a decade-+)