CE emulator configuration within Developer Studio

Lars Fiedler

My intention is writing smart device applications for a Windows CE platform
using C#. So I created a CE image using Platform
builder and could run the simulator from within the platform builder. But
from the Visual Studio the emulator hangs during boot up.
Running the application on my physical device with the platform I generated
everything is o.k.

The question for me is how can I configure the Visual Studio which emulator
settings and which images are used for deployment
of my application? What are the settings for the default Windows CE .NET
Emulator and can I change that ? Do Platform Builder
and Visual Studio using the same images?

Thanks.
Lars

Scott Smith [MS]

Hi Lars,

This may be associated with the emulator skin file. If so the steps below
should help.

To manually fix the error:

1. Open the registry and find registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Tools\Managed Platforms.

2. The Managed Platforms registry key should contain one or more
subkeys identified with GUIDs. Each subkey represents a distinct emulator
installed by an SDK and should have values for PlatformName, Skins, etc.
Locate the emulators that produce the skin error. The Skins value in the
registry for those emulators should be a folder name. Set the registry
value of Skins to the full path of the skin’s XML file.

3. Delete the file sdkRollerDevice-<GUID> for every emulator that
produces an error, where <GUID> corresponds to the GUID for that emulator.

Note The sdkRollerDevice-<GUID> file is located by default in Documents
and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\devices\addons.

4. Start Visual Studio .NET 2003 and use the emulators.

Hope this helps,

Scott