CD with bad scratch -- Help?

Fishy

I burned a CD. There's a pretty visible scratch on the underside,
starting at the center hole and going out about an inch. My CD drive
will not recognize it. I want the data off of it.

I tried some gunk I bought at Frye's -- a few drops on the scratch,
rub it in "until the scratch disappears", let it dry. Well, the
scratch never completely disappeared.

I'm using XP Home SP 1. The CD came from an old HP Pavillion with a
fried motherboard. It's a Mitsumi CR-4804TE. The driver is
apparently the one that comes with XP:
cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

I've contacted the tech departments at both of my universities and
they say they have no tools to recover data from a scratched CD. I'm
doubtful about their veracity. They advised me to go to Frye's and
buy some gunk. Which I already did.

How can I read the data off that CD?

<*((((><{
(e-mail address removed)

Carey Frisch [MVP]

DVD Data RescueT is a Windows based application that
recovers files from damaged , scratched or defective CD
and DVD discs.
http://www.naltech.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| I burned a CD. There's a pretty visible scratch on the underside,
| starting at the center hole and going out about an inch. My CD drive
| will not recognize it. I want the data off of it.
|
| I tried some gunk I bought at Frye's -- a few drops on the scratch,
| rub it in "until the scratch disappears", let it dry. Well, the
| scratch never completely disappeared.
|
| I'm using XP Home SP 1. The CD came from an old HP Pavillion with a
| fried motherboard. It's a Mitsumi CR-4804TE. The driver is
| apparently the one that comes with XP:
| cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
|
| I've contacted the tech departments at both of my universities and
| they say they have no tools to recover data from a scratched CD. I'm
| doubtful about their veracity. They advised me to go to Frye's and
| buy some gunk. Which I already did.
|
| How can I read the data off that CD?
|
| <*((((><{
| (e-mail address removed)

Go to www.cnet.com to the downloads section & search for data recovery, I
have seen programs in there that are meant to recover data from damaged
discs, I can't think of the names now but I know there are programs made to
do this specifically.

NoNoBadDog!

In addition to the answers already given, be aware that your ability to
retrieve any data from the damage area depends upon a very simple test...If
the scratch is in the plastic layer only, and the reflective/dye layer is
untouched, your data has a good chance of being recovered. If, however, the
scratch does extend into the reflective/dye layer (in other words if that
layer is damaged), then the data that was stored in that area of the disc is
permanently, forever gone. Some programs will do a fair job of trying to
interpolate the missing data, but whatever is recovered will not be the same
as the data that was written to the disc. I would not place too much hope
on retrieving everything from the damaged areas. In the future, keep your
discs in a jewel case, or in some other type of holder. Leaving them laying
around is just asking for trouble.

Bobby

Jim Macklin

Note, that to polish out a scratch, you must polish in a
radial motion. From the center outward to the edge. If you
use a circular or radial motion you will further damage the
surface.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
| In addition to the answers already given, be aware that
your ability to
| retrieve any data from the damage area depends upon a very
simple test...If
| the scratch is in the plastic layer only, and the
reflective/dye layer is
| untouched, your data has a good chance of being recovered.
If, however, the
| scratch does extend into the reflective/dye layer (in
other words if that
| layer is damaged), then the data that was stored in that
area of the disc is
| permanently, forever gone. Some programs will do a fair
job of trying to
| interpolate the missing data, but whatever is recovered
will not be the same
| as the data that was written to the disc. I would not
place too much hope
| on retrieving everything from the damaged areas. In the
future, keep your
| discs in a jewel case, or in some other type of holder.
Leaving them laying
| around is just asking for trouble.
|
| Bobby
|
| | >I burned a CD. There's a pretty visible scratch on the
underside,
| > starting at the center hole and going out about an inch.
My CD drive
| > will not recognize it. I want the data off of it.
| >
| > I tried some gunk I bought at Frye's -- a few drops on
the scratch,
| > rub it in "until the scratch disappears", let it dry.
Well, the
| > scratch never completely disappeared.
| >
| > I'm using XP Home SP 1. The CD came from an old HP
Pavillion with a
| > fried motherboard. It's a Mitsumi CR-4804TE. The
driver is
| > apparently the one that comes with XP:
| > cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
| >
| > I've contacted the tech departments at both of my
universities and
| > they say they have no tools to recover data from a
scratched CD. I'm
| > doubtful about their veracity. They advised me to go to
Frye's and
| > buy some gunk. Which I already did.
| >
| > How can I read the data off that CD?
| >
| > <*((((><{
| > (e-mail address removed)

newtechie

Jim,

For clarification purposes, do you use a radial motion or not? In your last
sentence, it looks as if you said that radial motion could further damage
the disc.

Thanks,
Newtechie

Jim Macklin

straight line from center to edge, no circular motion and no
motion around the CD. A single scratch on the plastic side
that is has no face to reflect the laser can be read, but a
scratch that is parallel to the laser track will fool the
laser.

| Jim,
|
| For clarification purposes, do you use a radial motion or
not? In your last
| sentence, it looks as if you said that radial motion could
further damage
| the disc.
|
| Thanks,
| Newtechie

in message
| | > Note, that to polish out a scratch, you must polish in a
| > radial motion. From the center outward to the edge. If
you
| > use a circular or radial motion you will further damage
the
| > surface.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in
message
| > your ability to
| > | retrieve any data from the damage area depends upon a
very
| > simple test...If
| > | the scratch is in the plastic layer only, and the
| > reflective/dye layer is
| > | untouched, your data has a good chance of being
recovered.
| > If, however, the
| > | scratch does extend into the reflective/dye layer (in
| > other words if that
| > | layer is damaged), then the data that was stored in
that
| > area of the disc is
| > | permanently, forever gone. Some programs will do a
fair
| > job of trying to
| > | interpolate the missing data, but whatever is
recovered
| > will not be the same
| > | as the data that was written to the disc. I would not
| > place too much hope
| > | on retrieving everything from the damaged areas. In
the
| > future, keep your
| > | discs in a jewel case, or in some other type of
holder.
| > Leaving them laying
| > | around is just asking for trouble.
| > |
| > | Bobby
| > |
| > underside,
inch.
| > My CD drive

on
| > the scratch,
dry.
| > Well, the

| > Pavillion with a
| > driver is

| > universities and
| > scratched CD. I'm
go to
| > Frye's and

| > |
| > |

Hello World

Try back and forth cleaning with tissue paper and Crest Toothpaste. Has
worked wonders in the past for scratched CD's.

Fishy

FIXED!

The goop never did work. I found "CD Roller" and it read the disk
right away. Then I copied the contents to the hard drive and am ready
to go.

I suspect that it was the driver on CR Roller that did the trick. I'm
using the default Win XP Home CD driver for my old Mitsumi CR-4804TE.

Does that make any sense?

<*((((><{
(e-mail address removed)

In the last exciting episode on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:29:07 -0600, "Jim

|straight line from center to edge, no circular motion and no
|motion around the CD. A single scratch on the plastic side
|that is has no face to reflect the laser can be read, but a
|scratch that is parallel to the laser track will fool the
|laser.
|

||| Jim,
|| For clarification purposes, do you use a radial motion or
|not? In your last
|| sentence, it looks as if you said that radial motion could
|further damage
|| the disc.
|| Thanks,
|| Newtechie
|in message
|| > radial motion. From the center outward to the edge. If
|you
|| > use a circular or radial motion you will further damage
|the
|| > surface.
|| >

|| > --
|| > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
|| > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
|| >

|| > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in
|message
|that
|| > your ability to
|very