Cd erasing

Reaction score
I have a lot of cds at my house that have all kind of files on them but i cant erase them so i just throw them away!

Can you suggest a program that erases cd's??

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
CD Data Removal

Hi,

Not really a removal tool, but I found a device in a stationery catalogue which you put the CD into, twist the lid, and the heavy-duty sandpaper inside the unit scratches off the metallic layer, thus rendering the device unusable.

I will try to find an online catalogue reference for you in case you are interested.

Cheers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
10344 said:
I have a lot of cds at my house that have all kind of files on them but i cant erase them so i just throw them away!

Can you suggest a program that erases cd's??
Leave in the sun for 10-20 years.

;)

Reaction score
If anyone's heard of Brainiac on Sky1 then you'll know what i'm on about ;)

Stick them in the microwave, they'll soon die...

Reaction score
Will your microwave and house not die with it?! :-/

So, to summarise, cut them up, stick them in the microwave and then leave them in the sun for 20 years and you should be sweet!! Mind you, i cant see a flaw with Muck's part of the plan. You might have to post them to florida to achieve the sun exposure. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
ChrisIMRIE said:
If anyone's heard of Brainiac on Sky1 then you'll know what i'm on about ;)

Stick them in the microwave, they'll soon die...

Thats a quality program!

I find taking the air rifle to them works rather well too!! ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Why bother! just break them into two and dispose them off, half CD usually do not work in any drive ;)

Microwave? Haven't you read that mettalic objects should never be put into a microwave? The top sure is polycarbonate but the actual layer is Aluminium!!!! :eek: A HOME MADE BOMB!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Data Destruction

I suggested destroying the data layer because it was "rumoured" (and yes, we all know about rumours:rolleyes: ) that it was possible for some of these forensic companies to rebuild data from partial discs.

May well be overkill for the domestic market, but this process is what we recommend to clients, many of whom have highly confidential customer files on board.

Otherwise, back to the good old Stanley Knife, but make sure you count your fingers before and after use!!!

(Must admit though, I do like the air rifle approach, but I'm not allowed to have a gun, but thats another story all together.....;) )

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Why bother! just break them into two and dispose them off, half CD usually do not work in any drive ;)
I know someone who got a really nasty cut hand breaking a cd by hand so be carefull.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i find scraping a stanley blade (not in the knife) across the top once removes the reflective layer then i cut it in two

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
This is true....

A neighbour of mine has decorated the front of the garage with his CDs and also hangs them from the trees in his garden. Is that a way of erasing the data?? (LOL).

Gabs XX

Reaction score
Yeah regarding my method earlier.

They might have the potential to explode but the one i saw never did, it just burst into a flashing light display as the sparks tracked their way across the aluminium layer of the CD, then then it burst into flames and they stopped the microwave.

I wouldn't advise that you try it however.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
ChrisIMRIE said:
Yeah regarding my method earlier.

They might have the potential to explode but the one i saw never did, it just burst into a flashing light display as the sparks tracked their way across the aluminium layer of the CD, then then it burst into flames and they stopped the microwave.

I wouldn't advise that you try it however.

As they say in Brainiac "We do the experiments so you dont have too!" :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
10344 said:
thats not what im talking about

i want to erase the data on them lol
You cannot "erase" the data off a CDR ... you destroy the CDR. And that also applies to a CDRW.

We have a habit here at PCReview that can be annoying ... people tend to go OFF TOPIC ;)

We don't really mind if the original question has been answered as your question was ... although I suppose on reflection someone should have made it as clear to you as I have just done.

Enjoy chopping up your CDs. :D

Ask a Question