CD/DVD Rom issues

Reaction score
Hi folks.....after a small amount of time not using my dvd player on my laptop it has now stopped working. I checked my device manager and got this message "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
Has anyone ever come across this before ??

Also while i'm here i'd also like to ask for some advice about OS licenses. I have an license for vista home premium which i no longer use. My dad has vista basic and its sooooo slow. Can i put/use my license on his laptop and do a fresh install ? Also i have no installation disc to use, so i'm guessing i'd have to download it from microshaft.....am i allowed to do this ?
Any suggestions or help wouldl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi folks.....after a small amount of time not using my dvd player on my laptop it has now stopped working. I checked my device manager and got this message "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
Has anyone ever come across this before ??

Also while i'm here i'd also like to ask for some advice about OS licenses. I have an license for vista home premium which i no longer use. My dad has vista basic and its sooooo slow. Can i put/use my license on his laptop and do a fresh install ? Also i have no installation disc to use, so i'm guessing i'd have to download it from microshaft.....am i allowed to do this ?
Any suggestions or help wouldl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

On your first problem, is your lappy one of those that allows you to slide the dvd out ? I'd say remove it, uninstall the drivers, then insert DvD player again and update drivers. That would be my guess at it.

On your second one, erm strictly if your licence is for a machine that came with Vista installed and no install disk, strictly no you can't go install it on a new machine, but and I have done this a few times, with the install disk which I have begged and borrowed I have installed it until it comes to activating. Gets to the point where you have to activate by phone. Speak to one of Microshafts puppets and say you had to replace xy and z in the laptop and need to reinstall and they wil take over and give you a new product key and activate for you. Job done :D

Reaction score
Thanks Evan.....not sure if i can slide the dvd out but will try in the morning and see how it goes. Regarding the vista bizness....that's good enough for me lol. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Usually a small screw underneath holding it in mate

It will be marked with a disk symbol next to it I would have thought

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your CDRom drive

My dad has vista basic and its sooooo slow
Name the system ... vista basic is wrongly used on crap systems that can't handle full Vista/Win7.

Can i put/use my license on his laptop and do a fresh install
not according to the EUL, but you could try

so i'm guessing i'd have to download it from microsoft
No, you will have to buy a CD/DVD.

:user:

Reaction score
Ta for the advice folks.......just got home now and its too late for tinkering about, lol.
Me dads laptop is a acer aspire with 4gb of ram and 160gb HD with AMD graphics......it "sounds" okay to me lol, but its the acer empowerment crapware thats bogging it down.
Guess we have to get a disc then.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
captain zed said:
lol, but its the acer empowerment crapware thats bogging it down.

You can remove that Acer Empowering shyte. Here's my sugestion. BAck up all important files/data etc. The use recovery partition to put the lappy back to original factory settings, then remove Empowering crap. And do all the usual updates. Will be like having a spanking new lappy :D

Reaction score
I will let me dad know and we'll try it next time i'm down with him....thanks for the heads up Evan.....again, lol.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
captain zed said:
I will let me dad know and we'll try it next time i'm down with him....thanks for the heads up Evan.....again, lol.

No worries Cap. Always here to give a hand when I can.....:thumb:

Ask a Question