cat 5 or cat 5e cable for about 200 meters

Reaction score
i want to share 128kbps adsl network to another pc which is about 150 to 200 meters away. Can i use cat 5 or cat 5e cable for this. And what would be the case if I use 256kpbs adls internet.

Can anyone suggest me.

thank you

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cat 5 and 5e are only supposed to be used up to 100m IIRC, but the signal won't totally drop off after this length - so you may be ok up to 150m for such a low speed. If all fails, you'll need to buy a repeater.

I've not used any long lengths of cable for years and years, so I'm sure someone here will more experience will be able to give you a better answer.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I'm with Ian, I've always thought 100m is the longest length for Cat5/5e for a 10/100 Mb LAN connection before signal quality starts to drop, 150m is probably pushing it and 200m definitely is in my opinion. If you can get it to connect ok at 10Mb speeds your internet speed is not going to be a problem for the network to cope with

If you can access the cable after its installed such that you can put a repeater in roughly in the middle of the run then i'd give it a try without the repeater and see how you get on

This is all going to be run inside right? I'm not sure how Cat5/5e will respond if you are planning on running it outside

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Makes no difference whether CAT 5 is run inside or outside. I recently done a run of CAT 5 from me mate's house to a garage at the bottom of his garden that he converted into a recording studio, about twenty metres total run, it worked flawlessly.

I'd agree with above, one repeater, installed midway. Bear in mind the repeater will need a power supply, so nearby mains is essential.

You could run a twin core cable to take a DC low voltage power supply with the CAT 5 to the repeater but DC voltage is likely to drop a little over 100 metres, that one's very much a 'suck it and see' situation.

I have run 12 and 24 volt cable runs to CCTV cameras over about 80 metres before and it's worked ok.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Maximum distance is limited to 100 meters (328 ft).

You'll need to go into fiber optic such as 10base-SX where it can operate at distances up to 300 metres (980 ft).

:user:

Ask a Question