Can't visit one particular site

All of a sudden, I cannot load a particular website into any browser on
either of my computers. I'm on a home network. I can get to any other site,
just not the one I need! It's crucial that I fix this problem! I've tried
everything please help me!
Forever grateful,
Andrea

David C. Stevens

What is the site you are going to? Maybe it might be a typo? Let other
people try and then we might be able to assist you.

Don Varnau

Hi,

You don't mention your OS, but...

If running a cable modem, dsl modem or router, have you, at some point, shut
everything down for a few minutes? This sometimes helps. Have router
settings changed? Can you bypass the router?

Or, deleting the History and TIF folders may help:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Try disabling third-party security programs to see if one of them is causing
this. Have you recently installed or updated a security program?

[WinXP]
Try opening a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

Or make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is not hiding file
extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS file at
[WinXP]
[C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If there
are any redirect entries in it you can put the pound sign (#) in front an
entry to disable that redirect. Or you can rename the HOSTS file to (ie)
HOSTS.OLD
In Win 9x, the file will be at [C:\Windows]
In Win 2K, at [C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc]
More on the HOSTS file at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

See if there's anything else to try at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html

Lastly... the problem might be with your ISP. It wouldn't hurt to contact
them.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

I have the same problem. I acnnot access "Dreament.com". I am running WinXP
on a single home computer with IE 6. I get diverted to sicko porn sites
apparently randomly picked each time. I try accessing the site from my
Bokmarks, from on-line links and by typing it into the browser. I get
diverted any way I go. All of my other Bookmarks work fine.

I contacted my ISP a second time and they gave me a proxy name and port
number to try and it worked! I'm so happy 'cause I'm an online student and
the only site I couldn't get to was my school's! Thank you for the offers for
help, it is greatly appreciated.
Andrea

Thanks, it was my ISP after all. I needed a proxy and port number as an
alternate, I guess, I'm just glad it worked. It was a very strange problem,
though, and I thank you for your advice!
Andrea

Andrea37 said:
All of a sudden, I cannot load a particular website into any browser on
either of my computers. I'm on a home network. I can get to any other site,
just not the one I need! It's crucial that I fix this problem! I've tried
everything please help me!
Forever grateful,
Andrea

That was great for Andrea37. I still can't access the site "Dreamnet.com"
and my ISP (SBCGlobal.net) is no help. Actually, I couldn't get an English
speaking person when I called. I have added the site to my "Trusted sites"
list. I have contacted the Site Op to see if the rpoblem may be at their end.

Andrea37 said:
All of a sudden, I cannot load a particular website into any browser on
either of my computers. I'm on a home network. I can get to any other site,
just not the one I need! It's crucial that I fix this problem! I've tried
everything please help me!
Forever grateful,
Andrea

Did you empty your cookies and temporary internet files folders? How about
virus scan? It sounds like a trojan or something has affected your computer.
Andrea

"Andrea37" <Andrea37[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
All of a sudden, I cannot load a particular website into any browser on
either of my computers. I'm on a home network. I can get to any other
site,
just not the one I need! It's crucial that I fix this problem! I've tried
everything please help me!
Forever grateful,
Andrea

I emptied the cookies, history, temp files, and restricted sites folders. I
added the site to my Trusted sites list. I ran Norton and the new Windows
Defender. Nothing was found.

:

[...]

Keep pestering your ISP, I got a solution only after seeking help a second
time from a different technician. Sometimes all you need are a fresh set of
ears. Good Luck.
Andrea

merlinn said:
[...]

Redirection like that points to the presence of malware (adware, spyware,
hijackers, etc.)

See these sites for help:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

I guess I'll just have to get a new ISP. I can't seem to get anyone at
SCBGLOBAL.NET who speaks English. I deleted cookies, temp files, and the
restricted sites folder. I ran Norton AV and Windows Defender after
downloading the latest updates.