Can't sort on "Categories", only "Category"

jsl

Office 2003 (Outlook 2003) on WinXP Pro. I like to sort my task list
(usually in 3-pane view below the monthly calendar) by Due Date,
Priority,"Categories",Subject. However, I cannot find the field
"Categories". When I sort by the available field, "Category", it is always
blank and so sorting on it does not help. When I go to enter a category in
the task details, it is labelled "Categories" and shows up as "categories",
not "category". Anyboday know how I can fix this?
Thanks,
Jim

Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]

"Categories" is the proper name of the built-in field...I'm not sure where
your "Category" field may have come from. In any event, you cannot sort on
the Categories field; you can only group by that field, which is what you
see when you switch to the "By Category" view.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your posting here

Based on my knowledge, I am afraid it is unable to sort by categories. This
behavior is by design. You can only group the items in Tasks by categories,
which is what the By Category view does. To group the entries by category,
click View -> Arrange By -> Current View and select By Category.

Hope this helps. If you need further help, feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|From: "jsl" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Can't sort on "Categories", only "Category"
|Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:31:14 -0400
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
|Office 2003 (Outlook 2003) on WinXP Pro. I like to sort my task list
|(usually in 3-pane view below the monthly calendar) by Due Date,
|Priority,"Categories",Subject. However, I cannot find the field
|"Categories". When I sort by the available field, "Category", it is
always
|blank and so sorting on it does not help. When I go to enter a
category in
|the task details, it is labelled "Categories" and shows up as
"categories",
|not "category". Anyboday know how I can fix this?
|Thanks,
|Jim

jsl

Thanks for the help and tips. I do hope this flexibility gets added at some
point. It would be much nicer give how I organize things.
Thanks,
Jim

jsl

The group by will allow me to effectively do the sorting I want. However,
it takes two levels of groups to do it, and then there is way to much space
wasted on the group header description and related. Is there a way to group
by, but not have the header junk show up. I unchecked "show items in
groups", but that did not help.
Thanks,
Jim

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your posting.

I am glad know the information I provided is helpful to you.

Regarding to the new issue, I am afraid I am unable to get a clear picture
of it. Please capture some screens fo the behavior and attached them into
the newsgroup.

Have a great day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|From: "jsl" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: Can't sort on "Categories", only "Category"
|Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:02:16 -0400
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
|The group by will allow me to effectively do the sorting I want.
However,
|it takes two levels of groups to do it, and then there is way to much
space
|wasted on the group header description and related. Is there a way
to group
|by, but not have the header junk show up. I unchecked "show items in
|groups", but that did not help.
|Thanks,
|Jim
||> Hi Jim,
|>
|> Thanks for your posting here
|>
|> Based on my knowledge, I am afraid it is unable to sort by
categories.
|This
|> behavior is by design. You can only group the items in Tasks by
|categories,
|> which is what the By Category view does. To group the entries by
category,
|> click View -> Arrange By -> Current View and select By Category.
|>
|> Hope this helps. If you need further help, feel free to let me know.
|>
|> Thanks & Regards
|> Alan Sun
|> Microsoft Online Partner Support
|>
|> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|> =====================================================
|> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so
|> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
|> =====================================================
|>
|> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
|rights.
|>

|> --------------------
|> |From: "jsl" <[email protected]>
|> |Subject: Can't sort on "Categories", only "Category"
|> |Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:31:14 -0400
|> |Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|> |
|> |Office 2003 (Outlook 2003) on WinXP Pro. I like to sort my
task
|list
|> |(usually in 3-pane view below the monthly calendar) by Due
Date,
|> |Priority,"Categories",Subject. However, I cannot find the
field
|> |"Categories". When I sort by the available field,
"Category", it is
|> always
|> |blank and so sorting on it does not help. When I go to enter
|> category in
|> |the task details, it is labelled "Categories" and shows up as
|> "categories",
|> |not "category". Anyboday know how I can fix this?
|> |Thanks,
|> |Jim
|> |
|> |