Can't remove Windows Desktop Search

M Skabialka

Windows Desktop Search takes up so much resources on my PC (using up all my
virtual memory etc) that I decided to remove it in Control Panel. It starts
the removal process then creates a list of 20 or 30 installed programs and
says that if I remove Windows Desktop Search these programs will no longer
function. Most of the programs are not Microsoft products.

We are talking S-L-O-W here while it is running. I wish I had never put it
on a few months ago.

So how do I stop it from running in the background - what processes have to
stop and not get started when I boot up?

Thanks,
Mich

db

yeh, i was somewhat
disappointed with it myself.

it would frequently cycle
my harddrive.

i don't remember
if i had any trouble uninstalling
it or i just simply disabled it.

but the steps i would have taken
would be to simply delete its folder
or
maybe i did a system restore.

its tricky to uninstall it or disable
it, but possible....

- db

Windows Desktop Search takes up so much resources on my PC (using up all my
virtual memory etc) that I decided to remove it in Control Panel. It starts
the removal process then creates a list of 20 or 30 installed programs and
says that if I remove Windows Desktop Search these programs will no longer
function. Most of the programs are not Microsoft products.

We are talking S-L-O-W here while it is running. I wish I had never put it
on a few months ago.

So how do I stop it from running in the background - what processes have to
stop and not get started when I boot up?

Thanks,
Mich

M Skabialka

System Restore would be too far back - I have installed other software since
then and zillions of MS updates!

What can I disable in msconfig?

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

it has been a while back
since i rid myself of that freeware.

it stands to reason that if the freeware
is starting with windows, then their
would be an entry in msconfig and a
process running and noted in the task
manager. so disabling both would
be helpful to disengagint it.

also, temporary disabling the indexing
service would also inhibit that freeware
while you are attempting to disable it
and or with uninstalling it.

have you heard of a freeware called
autoruns?

you can download it from microsoft.com
and it will give you a better overview of
your processes running and the ability
to disable their registry keys.

in autoruns when you find the line items for
the freeware, check it then doubleclick the
filename to disable the registry key for it.

- db
[...]

I had not heard of this, and will try it at home. I use the Google search
at work with excellent results.
Thank-you,
Mich

[...]

you're welcome