Cant login to domain - time problem

Lee Messenger

Hi,

A user successfully logged into our AD domain this morning from her XP
workstation, then disconnected her laptop, connected back later and when she
now tries to log in it says "The current time on the Computer and time on
the network are different, please contact local admin"

I cannot get her to log back in no matter what i try.

Please help

Regards,

LM

HAD

As simple as this sounds, she needs to set her clock to
the server, or domain time. If your domain uses a time
reference such as the gmt clock etc, then set the laptop
to the same..

However if you cant find our the time on the server then
im not sure how to sync it...

but there is a dos command

net time /DOMAIN:*****.com /set /y

but im guessing that has to be connected first somehow.

Lee Messenger

Ok, problem solved, the time was correct but the date was set to year 999
!!! changed to 2004, now its ok

Thanks

David Pharr [MSFT]

Have you checked the time on the laptop and made the workstation time match
that of the DC? Kerberos authentication fails if the time is off by more
than 5 minutes to prevent against replay attacks - make sure the time zone
and time of the client computer matches that of the domain controller.

Also, is the type on the client machine set to Nt5Ds
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters)
so that it automatically synchronizes its time with the authenticating
domain controller and is the Windows Time service on the client and dc set
to automatically start?

224799 Basic Operation of the Windows Time Service
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=224799

223184 Registry Entries for the W32Time Service
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223184

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)