Can't get Form Submission to Work

Zanshin

Help, I'm pulling my hair out!

I can't figure out what is wrong with my coding to submit a form. I
have:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=windows-1252">
<TITLE>Mktg Form</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY text="#FFFFFF" bgcolor="#3D77AF">
<FORM NAME="Marketing_form" METHOD="POST" ACTION="--WEBBOT-SELF--"
onSubmit="">
<!--WEBBOT BOT=SaveResults
U-File="_private/formrslt.htm"
S-Format="HTML/BR" startspan S-Label-Fields="TRUE"
B-Reverse-Chronology="FALSE" S-Builtin-Fields
--><input TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP" VALUE="0"><!--webbot
bot="SaveResults" endspan i-checksum="43374" --><P>

The page _private/formrslt.htm exists, but nothing ever goes there and
I get the unhelpful message,

FrontPage Error.
User: please report details to this site's webmaster.
Webmaster: please see the server's application event log for more
details.

Please, where oh where have I gone astray?

Steve Easton

Does the server have FrontPage extensions installed?? They are required for submission forms to
work.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

chris leeds

you may want to recalculate the hyperlinks and republish.

also you must publish with FrontPage to have this work, you've also got to
open the live web on the server with FrontPage to see the results in the
_private folder.

how are you trying to see the results?

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/

Thomas A. Rowe

Also try setting the results to be text instead of html.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Tom Pepper Willett

After installing them, did you actually configure them for the web?

--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
| Yes, I installed front page extensions on the server.
|
| > Does the server have FrontPage extensions installed?? They are required
for submission forms to
| > work.
| >
| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer

Zanshin

I have been opening the live site from Frontpage after I have
published the changes. I've been looking in the _private folder,
formrslt.htm page; I've also tried specifying formating the results as
text, and looked in the _private\formrslt.txt file. Nothing ever
shows up in either!

-- zan

Thomas A. Rowe

Contact the host and ask them to check the permissions on the _private folder.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Zanshin

Um ... I think so! After installing them, I extended them to the
default web site, and in IIS, it shows "Web Service Extensions" Front
Page Server Extensions as "Allowed". Is this what needed to be done?

--zan

Tom Pepper Willett

write

--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
About FrontPage 2003:
http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
FrontPage 2003 Product Information:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
Understanding FrontPage:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions Support Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;fp10se
===
| What should the permisions be on the _private folder?
|
| -zan
|
| > Contact the host and ask them to check the permissions on the _private
folder.

| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

| > > published the changes. I've been looking in the _private folder,
| > > formrslt.htm page; I've also tried specifying formating the results as
| > > text, and looked in the _private\formrslt.txt file. Nothing ever
| > > shows up in either!
| > >
| > > -- zan

Richard Lewis Haggard

And what permissions would one expect to see? I have a similar problem in a
form submittal and have not yet figured out why the user is presented with a
username/password dialog when hitting the submit button.
==
Richard Lewis Haggard

Tom Pepper Willett

Write.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
"Richard Lewis Haggard" <HaggardAtWorldDotStdDotCom> wrote in message
| And what permissions would one expect to see? I have a similar problem in
| form submittal and have not yet figured out why the user is presented with
| username/password dialog when hitting the submit button.
| ==
| Richard Lewis Haggard
|
| | > write
| >
| > --
| > ===
| > Tom "Pepper" Willett
| > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > ---
| > About FrontPage 2003:
| > http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
| > FrontPage 2003 Product Information:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
| > Understanding FrontPage:
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
| > FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions Support Center:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;fp10se
| > ===
| > |
| > | -zan
| > |
| > folder.

| > as

| > also
| > got to
| > in
| > the

| > of
| > all the

Mark Fitzpatrick

on a Windows IIS box, the IUSR account needs write permissions. If the file
exists it may also need delete permissions in order to properly effet an
update to a page (which basically deletes and re-writes the file). Of
course, it may not be the _private directory at all. It could be that the
IUSR account is lacking permissions to the actual FP Server Extension dlls
that write to the files, in which case trying to save form results will
cause an authentication from attempting to use the form handler.

hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage