Can't Find Spybot

Darren Harris

I downloaded Spybot to my desktop, but it doesn't show up on my
program menu after installation.

When I use "find", it sees the desktop icon, two text
files(C:\Windows\Cookies) and two folders for" Spybot - Search &
Destroy".(C:\Windows\AllUsers\Application\data and C:\Program Files).

Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Bjorn Simonsen

Darren Harris wrote in
I downloaded Spybot to my desktop, but it doesn't show up on my
program menu after installation.

Maybe it was installed into the start menu of your admin account
(assuming you have one), while you are using and seeing the All Users
- or your own (user name) startmenu. Try log on as admin (assuming you
have the right to do so and can) then right click the startmenu ->
Explore. Then find a move the Spybot item from the Admin startmenu
folder to the All Users startmenu folder.

All the best
Bjorn Simonsen

Darren Harris

Bjorn Simonsen said:
Darren Harris wrote in

Maybe it was installed into the start menu of your admin account
(assuming you have one), while you are using and seeing the All Users
- or your own (user name) startmenu. Try log on as admin (assuming you
have the right to do so and can) then right click the startmenu ->
Explore. Then find a move the Spybot item from the Admin startmenu
folder to the All Users startmenu folder.

Thanks.

Funny you should mention that. I have no idea what this whole
administrator thing is as far as my system is concerned, but I cannot
uninstall P2P Networking from Add/Remove programs for that reason. I
get the following message: "Sorry, you don't have enough access rights
for this operation. Please log on with administrator privileges and
repeat uninstallation process."

Also, I just looked at the security log of the recently installed
Sygate personal firewall, and it says: "Somebody is scanning your
computer. Your computer's TCP ports: 3127, 2745, 135, 1025 and 445
have been scanned from 162.83.142.167."

I have no idea where to start.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

michael andrews

Darren Harris said:
Bjorn Simonsen <[email protected]> wrote in message

Thanks.

Funny you should mention that. I have no idea what this whole
administrator thing is as far as my system is concerned, but I cannot
uninstall P2P Networking from Add/Remove programs for that reason. I
get the following message: "Sorry, you don't have enough access rights
for this operation. Please log on with administrator privileges and
repeat uninstallation process."

Also, I just looked at the security log of the recently installed
Sygate personal firewall, and it says: "Somebody is scanning your
computer. Your computer's TCP ports: 3127, 2745, 135, 1025 and 445
have been scanned from 162.83.142.167."

I have no idea where to start.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Your 'Help" file.
Search engine lookup.
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
comp.security.firewalls
www.samspade.org

Bjorn Simonsen

Darren Harris wrote in
Funny you should mention that. I have no idea what this whole
administrator thing is as far as my system is concerned, [...]
I have no idea where to start.

<http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeOffice/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=24808>

fund above page doing a google search as follows:
<http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=windows+XP+administrator+&btnG=Search>

Browse the google results page for more, or try a differnt
seachphrase there.

Nedd help? Assuming WinXP is your OS (you never said),
try ask in a relevant Windows group. Say like:
<microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers>
<microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
<microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support>
<alt.os.windows-xp>
<alt.windows-xp>
to mention just a few. You could also try the general helpdesk group:
<24hoursupport.helpdesk>

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Roy

Your computer's TCP ports: 3127, 2745, 135, 1025 and 445
have been scanned from 162.83.142.167."

Someone, or their PC, at:

William Beaumont Hospital
OrgID: WBH
Address: Departmetn of Nucliear Medicine
Address: 3601 West Thirteen Mile Road
City: Royal Oak
StateProv: MI
PostalCode: 48073
Country: US

has probably been infected by a worm which is looking for other vulnerable
PCs by scanning those ports. Sygate merely reported the facts.

The weird spelling above is *not* mine, I assure you!

Cheers,

Roy

Darren Harris

Quite honestly, if I knew that I'd have to spend so much time on
computer maintenance and waiting for pages to download, I woudln't
have bothered getting one six years ago.

Anyway, the OS(which is crap) is WindowsME.

And I'm now up to three more attacks from 207.33.111.35,
63.162.205.198, and 162.83.178.91.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren Harris

I installed it again. And now it is there.

But it doesn't work anyway. After scanning and "Quarantine". I still
have all the problems associated with adware. Tracking pop-ups,
sluggish system, ect.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

michael andrews

Darren Harris said:
I installed it again. And now it is there.

But it doesn't work anyway. After scanning and "Quarantine". I still
have all the problems associated with adware. Tracking pop-ups,
sluggish system, ect.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

A Spybot Search & Destroy forum http://forums.net-integration.net/