Can't find "exe" name for viewer

Bill

I'd like to Shell from Access to the "Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer". To do that, I need to know the name
of the "exe". Can anyone tell me its name?

Thanks,
Bill

Ayush

Bill wrote ::
I'd like to Shell from Access to the "Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer". To do that, I need to know the name
of the "exe". Can anyone tell me its name?

Thanks,
Bill

It's a dll not an exe. To open a file, use :
rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "FilePath"

Good Luck, Ayush.

Bill

I tried: rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "c:\P1.jpg"
from Run, but there's no response at all.

Likewise, from VBA:
lngRetCode = Shell("rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen" &
"""c:\P1.jpg""")

Shell did not complain about syntax, so perhaps I don't have the
incorrect name parameters for shimgvw?

I know "c:\P1.jpg" is okay, as I simply ran Preview from
within Windows Explorer.

Bill

Wesley Vogel

I tried: rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "c:\P1.jpg"
from Run, but there's no response at all.

Remove the quotes.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer = shimgvw.dll

rundll32.exe (Run a DLL as an App) executes it.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll

How would I create a shortcut for Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
filename.ext (or folder name)

From David Candy

Sample:
Paste the following line into Start | Run and click OK...

rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
%userprofile%\My Documents\My Pictures

Create a shortcut to:
rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
%userprofile%\My Documents\My Pictures

Name it : Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

This line will work in the Run command...

rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %userprofile%\My Documents\My
Pictures
-----

<quote>
The following will start Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

You cannot open picture by a file menu. However, you can drag and drop the
picture into the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to be able to view the
picture.

--
William Crawford
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

and you can drag a folder full of pictures into Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer. You can then use the Previous Image or Next Image buttons to scroll
through the pictures in that folder or the Start Slide Show button.

This line in the Run command will also open it...

rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

Watch out for wrapping on the commands above. Any command that appears to
have two lines is wrapped with ONE space.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Bill

lngRetCode = Shell("rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
c:\P1.jpg")
BINGO!!!

Thanks,
Bill

herbzee

Picking up the thread, I would appreciate step by step instructions for
creating the shortcut.
Cheers-Herb.

Wesley Vogel said:
I tried: rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "c:\P1.jpg"
from Run, but there's no response at all.
Remove the quotes.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer = shimgvw.dll

rundll32.exe (Run a DLL as an App) executes it.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll

How would I create a shortcut for Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
filename.ext (or folder name)

From David Candy

"Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
Bill wrote ::
I'd like to Shell from Access to the "Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer". To do that, I need to know the name
of the "exe". Can anyone tell me its name?

Thanks,
Bill

It's a dll not an exe. To open a file, use :
rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "FilePath"

Good Luck, Ayush.

Wesley Vogel

Create a shortcut to:
rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
%userprofile%\My Documents\My Pictures

Name it : Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

Right click the Desktop | Point to new and click Shortcut |
Paste the first line into the Location box.
Hit the spacebar one.
Paste the second line after the space.
Click the Next button.
Paste: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer into the Name box.
Click the Finish button.

Or just use the first line in the Location box.
Or name the shortcut Fred.
Experiment a little, have a little bit of fun, Herb. And maybe some
swearing out loud. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Wesley Vogel said:
I tried: rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "c:\P1.jpg"
from Run, but there's no response at all.
Remove the quotes.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer = shimgvw.dll

rundll32.exe (Run a DLL as an App) executes it.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll

How would I create a shortcut for Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
filename.ext (or folder name)

From David Candy

[...]

In Bill <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:

Bill wrote ::
I'd like to Shell from Access to the "Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer". To do that, I need to know the name
of the "exe". Can anyone tell me its name?

Thanks,
Bill

It's a dll not an exe. To open a file, use :
rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen "FilePath"

Good Luck, Ayush.

Wesley Vogel

Keep having fun, Herb.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Wesley Vogel said:
Remove the quotes.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer = shimgvw.dll

rundll32.exe (Run a DLL as an App) executes it.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll

How would I create a shortcut for Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
filename.ext (or folder name)

From David Candy

[...]

THIS REALLY DID THE TRICK... THANK YOU AYUSH HERB WESLEY AND EVERYONE
ELSE... i'D NEVER HAVE FIGURED IT OUT BY MYSELF....