Can't boot new 80Gb drive with limited capacity jumper

xtian

Hi -

I've just installed a Seagate 80Gb drive (ST380021A), and when I
enable it in the CMOS as the primary slave, the boot hangs when
reporting the capacity. I'd heard this was a problem with older BIOSs
(mine's Award 4.51PG), and so I put the limited capacity jumper on the
drive, intending to enable use of the rest of the drive with Seagate's
DiscWizard tool. However, when the jumper is applied, the boot hangs
earlier than without it - it detects the new drive as the primary
slave, and my CDRW drive, but just stops. This happens before it
progresses to the screen where it reports the drive size (where it
hangs when there is no jumper), and in this case it hangs even if I
disable the drive in the CMOS. I can only boot if I remove the jumper.

Does anyone know what's going on? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
xtian

Lil' Dave

Have one PC with version 4.51, initial boot screen says May 1998. Version
4.51 means little, if nothing. Some bios even indicate their actual date at
the boot screen, like some versions of Award.
Dave

Barry OGrady

Hi -

I've just installed a Seagate 80Gb drive (ST380021A), and when I
enable it in the CMOS as the primary slave, the boot hangs when
reporting the capacity. I'd heard this was a problem with older BIOSs
(mine's Award 4.51PG), and so I put the limited capacity jumper on the
drive, intending to enable use of the rest of the drive with Seagate's
DiscWizard tool. However, when the jumper is applied, the boot hangs
earlier than without it - it detects the new drive as the primary
slave, and my CDRW drive, but just stops. This happens before it
progresses to the screen where it reports the drive size (where it
hangs when there is no jumper), and in this case it hangs even if I
disable the drive in the CMOS. I can only boot if I remove the jumper.

Does anyone know what's going on? Any suggestions?

Are you trying to boot the system before installing the overlay?
If you have the link set and you tell the bios to auto detect the drive it should
show as 32 gigs. You then boot from a floppy or CD containing your overlay
program. Install the overlay from the floppy or CD, boot via the hard drive to
your install floppy or CD and install the O/S as normal. Having installed the
overlay you must always boot via the HD even when using a bootable floppy
or CD.
Thanks,
xtian

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Folkert Rienstra

Barry OGrady said:
Are you trying to boot the system before installing the overlay?
If you have the link set and you tell the bios to auto detect the drive it should
show as 32 gigs. You then boot from a floppy or CD containing your overlay
program.
Install the overlay from the floppy or CD, boot via the hard drive

boot via the hard drive, to what?

Barry OGrady

boot via the hard drive, to what?

If you have an overlay installed to overcome bios limitations you must start from the
hard drive even if you want to boot from a floppy or CD. If you don't you won't be able
to see the full size of the hard drive.

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Rod Speed

Barry OGrady said:
If you have an overlay installed to overcome bios limitations you must start from the
hard drive even if you want to boot from a floppy or CD. If you don't you won't be able
to see the full size of the hard drive.

You either boot from the hard drive or you boot from the floppy or
CD. There isnt any way to boot from the hard drive and then boot
from say the CD after that with the bios overlay still being loaded.

You can certainly boot from the hard drive and change
to the CD at the dos prompt and run say the setup
from the CD, but thats not booting from the CD.

a user

Hi -

I've just installed a Seagate 80Gb drive (ST380021A), and when I
enable it in the CMOS as the primary slave, the boot hangs when
reporting the capacity. I'd heard this was a problem with older BIOSs
(mine's Award 4.51PG), and so I put the limited capacity jumper on the
drive, intending to enable use of the rest of the drive with Seagate's
DiscWizard tool. However, when the jumper is applied, the boot hangs
earlier than without it - it detects the new drive as the primary
slave, and my CDRW drive, but just stops. This happens before it
progresses to the screen where it reports the drive size (where it
hangs when there is no jumper), and in this case it hangs even if I
disable the drive in the CMOS. I can only boot if I remove the jumper.

Does anyone know what's going on? Any suggestions?
I think I have the same version of Award BUT MSI had updates to the bios
for handling the newer amd cpus and *160 gig* hard drives; just replaced
older drives and using a wd "160" gig drive.

Suggest you check your motherboard's website for bios updates as that
is probably the better way to go.

Folkert Rienstra

Barry OGrady said:
If you have an overlay installed to overcome bios limitations you must
start from the hard drive even if you want to boot from a floppy or CD.

That isn't ordinarily possible. Only (bootet) software that recalls the
bootinterrupt with different parameters can do such an extended boot.
If you don't you won't be able to see the full size of the hard drive.

Yes, but boot via the hard drive, to what? An overlay is not a program,
it is replacement bios code. After it has executed/installed it self,
the bootcode will still find an empty drive and nothing to boot to.

Barry OGrady

That isn't ordinarily possible. Only (bootet) software that recalls the
bootinterrupt with different parameters can do such an extended boot.

Yes, but boot via the hard drive, to what? An overlay is not a program,
it is replacement bios code. After it has executed/installed it self,
the bootcode will still find an empty drive and nothing to boot to.

The overlay is loaded from the hard drive. If you boot directly from a floppy
or CD the overlay will not be loaded and you will see only the smaller size
of the hard drive. Set the bios to boot from only the hard drive. The overlay
loader should give you the option to boot from floppy or CD.

If the hard drive has no O/S on it you must boot from floppy or CD to install
the O/S. If the install CD is self booting you can use that, but you must tell
the system to start from the hard drive so that the overlay is loaded.

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Rod Speed

The overlay is loaded from the hard drive.
Yes.

If you boot directly from a floppy or CD the overlay will not be
loaded and you will see only the smaller size of the hard drive.
Yes.

Set the bios to boot from only the hard drive. The overlay
loader should give you the option to boot from floppy or CD.

Often they dont.
If the hard drive has no O/S on it you must
boot from floppy or CD to install the O/S.
Yes.

If the install CD is self booting you can use that, but you must tell
the system to start from the hard drive so that the overlay is loaded.

Not even possible.

Rod Speed

Try explaining how you will load the bios overlay and
then boot say an XP distribution CD like that. You cant.
If you don't the installer will not see the full size of the drive.

Wrong again. Depends entirely on how the installer is written.

Barry OGrady

Try explaining how you will load the bios overlay and
then boot say an XP distribution CD like that. You cant.

Start the computer without the CD in the drive. When the overlay banner appears
press the key to boot from the CD. Insert CD. Press key to boot from CD.
Wrong again. Depends entirely on how the installer is written.

Can the installer bypass the BIOS limitations?

-Barry
========

Barry OGrady said:
Start the computer without the CD in the drive. When the overlay banner appears
press the key to boot from the CD. Insert CD. Press key to boot from CD.

Wont work, XP will tell you to go shove that bios overlay where the sun dont shine.
Can the installer bypass the BIOS limitations?

Corse it can. It can obviously do anything a bios overlay can do.

Barry OGrady

Wont work, XP will tell you to go shove that bios overlay where the sun dont shine.

I have not tried to install XP.
Is it XP that will not work with the overlay or just the installer?
How do people get over a bios linitation to run XP?
Corse it can. It can obviously do anything a bios overlay can do.

I see your point. I was not aware that they did.

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Rod Speed

I have not tried to install XP.
Is it XP that will not work with the overlay or just the installer?

Its pointless when XP is doing what the bios overlay does itself.
How do people get over a bios linitation to run XP?

Not normally a problem. The worst you might have to
do is install it on an 8GB partition so XP gets to boot
from the partition the bios handles fine and loads its
own drivers to handle the rest of the physical drive.
I see your point. I was not aware that they did.

Yeah, rather obvious when you think about it like that.

Barry OGrady

Its pointless when XP is doing what the bios overlay does itself.

Fair enough.
Not normally a problem. The worst you might have to
do is install it on an 8GB partition so XP gets to boot
from the partition the bios handles fine and loads its
own drivers to handle the rest of the physical drive.

Yeah, rather obvious when you think about it like that.

I learned something about XP. Thanks.

Would I be right if the O/S was Windows 98SE?

-Barry
========

Barry OGrady said:
Fair enough.

I learned something about XP. Thanks.

Would I be right if the O/S was Windows 98SE?

There isnt any need to boot the Win98SE CD,
you can just boot the bios overlay off floppy
with cdrom support, run setup on the CD etc.

Gw

(e-mail address removed) (xtian) wrote in message
Try this it almost always works and I know it works with the award
4.51 bios.

manually set the bios for 16677 cylinders 16 heads 0
pre-comp and 63 sectors
windows will see the whole thing. take the limiting jumper off do
not use any overlay program just lie to the bios, it will boot and
windows XP will see and use it all.

GW