Can't Add Menu to Inherited MDI Container Form

M

Mark Olbert

Okay, I give up! Why the futz can't I add a main menu component to an inherited MDI container
form?!? I can drag and drop the mainmenu object onto the design surface, but:

1) the MDI form does not update to show that its menu property should point to the new main menu
object (which it always does with an "uninherited" form);

2) setting the MDI form's menu property to equal the new main menu component and then right clicking
the main menu object on the design surface and selecting Edit Menu gives an "object not set to an
object reference" error.

I hope to Ghu this is possible, somehow, because I've invested a LOT of time in developing a class
library that depends on inherited MDI container forms. If I can't add menus to them in applications
that use my library I am up that famous creek without a paddle (and I will be royally, totally
pissed off at Microsoft to boot).

- Mark

M

Mark Olbert

Okay, I'm the idiot here. It turns out that the Designer I'd associated with the MDI form in the
class library was of type IRootDesigner, which apparently bollixes up the menu editor subsystem in
VS.NET. Not specifying the Designer type solved the problem.

Now I just have to hope it didn't break something else.

- Mark

Ask a Question