Canon Pixma iP4500 on Win 98

p.e.albers

I just picked up a Canon Pixma iP4500. My PC is WinXP, but my wife's
is win98 and it wouldn't let me print from there after sharing the
printer since there is no Win98 driver for it (didn't check that at
the time)

I installed a 4300 Win98 driver to use to print to the 4500 from my
wife's computer and it seems to work fine so far. Has anyone else
done this used it for a while? Any problems or pitfalls to be aware
of? I can still return the printer if I need to, but if this works
I'll keep it since she'll be upgrading within a year anyway.

measekite

DanG wrote:

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:fb42b6c0-7be1-4887-a4ef-4711c9127e9d@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

I just picked up a Canon Pixma iP4500. My PC is WinXP, but my wife's is win98 and it wouldn't let me print from there after sharing the printer since there is no Win98 driver for it (didn't check that at the time) I installed a 4300 Win98 driver to use to print to the 4500 from my wife's computer and it seems to work fine so far. Has anyone else done this used it for a while? Any problems or pitfalls to be aware of? I can still return the printer if I need to, but if this works I'll keep it since she'll be upgrading within a year anyway.

The 4300 and 4500 are substantially the same, so I see no reason not to use the 4300 driver if it's working. The 4500 uses a slightly different head, so there could conceivably be some issues, but everyday printing should be fine. The 4500 is an outstanding printer, so don't even think of sending it back. Send your wife back instead. ;-) BTW, the USA model 4500 is a great disc printer too, if you want to go the extra step to enable that function.

And do not forget to use only OEM Canon ink for the best results.