Cannot use "Run As"

Augie

Hi all,
I have just received a new workstation on the job with Vista on it. When I
log on as a user I some times need to run software with admin rights so I
usually use "run as" by right clicking the file. When I do this in Vista a
"run as administrator" is available but I am not prompt to set any
credentials and the software does not run. Which settings I need to check? I
also can log on as admin using another profile.
Thanks for your help

Gahawy

If you are logged on as a standard user, you will be prompted for
credentials, other wise, If you need to be asked for credentials even if you
are logged on as an admin, you need to change a group policy stting, it
depende on which Vista editio you are using, in fact it should be bussiness
or higher.
To make this configuration follow the following steps:-
1- In the Run box type "gpedit.msc" and press enter. The Group policy object
editor will open
2-browse to (Computer configuration - windows settings - Security settings -
local policy - security options)
3- on the right pane, near the end, look for a setting named "User Account
control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in admin
approval mode"
4- Double click this setting and configure it to "Prompt for credentials"
instead of the default "Prompt for consent"

Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP2, IE8, WLM 14.0.0726
What is my problem ?
For one, my OS does not have Group Policy.
For two, typing gpedit.msc on Run box gave me error message : windows cannot
find 'gpedit.msc '.
Perhaps you can explain that.

t-4-2

Paul Adare

Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP2, IE8, WLM 14.0.0726
What is my problem ?
For one, my OS does not have Group Policy.
For two, typing gpedit.msc on Run box gave me error message : windows cannot
find 'gpedit.msc '.
Perhaps you can explain that.

Gpedit.msc only comes with Vista Business and above. Just because you don't
know that fact does not in any way make someone else's post here SPAM.

Gahawy was correct and you were completely wrong and your characterization
of his response was uncalled for.