Cannot Update MS Word Fields

PPL

MS Word 2003 on XP

I can usually find my way around with MS Word, but this is stumping me:

I have created a document for someone in my company. The doc contains
numerous fields, e.g., Title, TOC, Date & Time etc.

I can update the fields in my copy of the doc by hitting F9 or by right
clicking the field and selecting Update Field

When I send thedoc to the user he CANNOT update the fields. He sends it back
to me, and once again I am able to update fields
The user is able to create fields in the same doc, but even those are not
updatable by him

I've tried Ctrl-Shift-F11 to unlock without success.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

TIA
Phil

Stefan Blom

If the fields were locked, they would (obviously) be locked even when you open the file. Ask your colleague to try repairing his Office installation.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PPL" wrote in message
MS Word 2003 on XP

I can usually find my way around with MS Word, but this is stumping me:

I have created a document for someone in my company. The doc contains
numerous fields, e.g., Title, TOC, Date & Time etc.

I can update the fields in my copy of the doc by hitting F9 or by right
clicking the field and selecting Update Field

When I send thedoc to the user he CANNOT update the fields. He sends it back
to me, and once again I am able to update fields
The user is able to create fields in the same doc, but even those are not
updatable by him

I've tried Ctrl-Shift-F11 to unlock without success.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

TIA
Phil

PPL

Thanks for the reply Stefan

I finally figured out that the cause was a corrupted Normal.dot.
I closed Word, deleted Normal.dot. On re-start Word re-created it and fields
now work.

Thanks again

Phil

Stefan Blom

I'm glad you got it sorted, and thank you for the follow-up.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP