From: meikodog
Subject: windows defender error message
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:20:01 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

Hello dancer?,

By: Mike Treit [Msft]

== Error 0x80501001 when trying to remove a threat ==
This error will occur if a threat is detected inside of a container such as
a ZIP file, RAR archive, etc.

The "remove" action cannot (in most cases) be applied to an object inside of
such containers, without deleting the entire container.

The issue is that you may have a ZIP file with tons of non-malicious file in
it, but one or more "bad" files as well that are detected. The question is:
how should we handle that? Deleting the entire container may inadvertently
delete the clean files as well, and that might not be what you want.

For now you can check if the ZIP file has anything else inside of it that
you want to keep. If not, just delete the ZIP file yourself and you will have
removed the threat.

If you really want to keep the ZIP file around but do not want to see this
error (and again, you can expect that in the future we will have a better
story here - at least not such a cryptic error message) you can disable
scanning inside archives. Clear the checkbox for "Scan inside archives" in
the Tools section under the Options menu. Generally, threats inside archives,
while good to know about, are not "active", meaning they can't do anything
bad to your system while inside the archive.

Or they are in a restore folder which also isn't touched by Defender, or
they are in a quarantine fºlder.
All occurrences are harmless in that state but could cause a problem if
uncompressed or restºred.
==--==

I wºuld recommend you use the Search For: box, and enter the error number
(0x80501001 to get the lates news or advance in eªch NG.
--

You can go to the System Event lºog and find the location of the file:

Start, Run, eventvwr.msc <enter>

Click on the System event lºg

Go to View, choose Filter, and choose "windefend" in the source contrºl.

Look for yellow triangle entries that give the precise path and location of
what was detected, and use the button provided to paste the content of the
detection back to a messªge here.

If the file is in the restore file you can do the following:
My computer, Local Disk , right click , Properties, Disk-Cleanup, Run, Other
Options, check delete old restore points (the last recent checkpoint remªins).

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Еиçеl