cannot delete [filename]: The directory name is invalid.

John Temmerman

I uninstalled netscape communicator but there is a folder out there
that I cannot delete and it locks up my backup program. When I try to
delete it, I get the following message:

cannot delete [filename]: The directory name is invalid.

I've run chkdsk 3 times without result and I couldn't find this error
in the microsoft support database.

Pegasus

John Temmerman said:
I uninstalled netscape communicator but there is a folder out there
that I cannot delete and it locks up my backup program. When I try to
delete it, I get the following message:

cannot delete [filename]: The directory name is invalid.

I've run chkdsk 3 times without result and I couldn't find this error
in the microsoft support database.

What exactly is the name of the problem folder?

John Temmerman

Pegasus said:
John Temmerman said:
I uninstalled netscape communicator but there is a folder out there
that I cannot delete and it locks up my backup program. When I try to
delete it, I get the following message:

cannot delete [filename]: The directory name is invalid.

I've run chkdsk 3 times without result and I couldn't find this error
in the microsoft support database.

What exactly is the name of the problem folder?

it was C:/program files/netscape/communicator/program/plugins, but I
renamed it from plugins to 22 thinnking that, if I renamed it, I might
be able to delete it. No help.

Pegasus

John Temmerman said:
"Pegasus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
John Temmerman said:
I uninstalled netscape communicator but there is a folder out there
that I cannot delete and it locks up my backup program. When I try to
delete it, I get the following message:

cannot delete [filename]: The directory name is invalid.

I've run chkdsk 3 times without result and I couldn't find this error
in the microsoft support database.

What exactly is the name of the problem folder?

it was C:/program files/netscape/communicator/program/plugins, but I
renamed it from plugins to 22 thinnking that, if I renamed it, I might
be able to delete it. No help.

Reboot in Safe Mode (press F8 early during the boot phase,
then try to delete the folder in Explorer.

If this does not work, try this in Safe Mode:
- Start a Command Prompt
- Enter this command:
cd /d "c:\Program Files"
Make sure to use back slashes, not forward slashes as in
your response above!.
- Enter this command: rd /s /q netscape
What is the precise message (if any) that you see?

You should also check if "plugins" is indeed the problem folder,
or if it contains a file with a reserved file name such as "lpt1".
If so then you need to use different methods.

John Temmerman

I can't get it into safe mode. Without using the win2000 cd to boot, I
get a black screen with white writing that I don't understand.
Something about system 32 files. My son referred to it as the "Black
Screen of Death" and said that he hoped my PC lasted long enough for
the new computer to arrive (maybe a month).

Using the Win2000 cd as a boot disk, it tells me that it's going into
safe mode, bnut it doesn't do it.

Pegasus said:
John Temmerman said:
[...]

If you cannot get into safe mode, and if you're going to replace
the PC within a few weeks, why bother deleting a recalcitrant
folder? Just let it be!

John Temmerman said:
[...]

Good point, but the file is causing my backup process to fail. This
whole thing is such a pain. Even though I do weekly backups, the only
accessible backup is from May. I'm trying to avoid a seek, cut and
paste on my key data files but my options are dwindling.... I'm gonna
try the windows file fix next.

Pegasus

What backup program do you use? Some programs let you select what
you back up whereas others allow you to continue even when errors occur.
It all depends on how you set it up.